This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

wmv2mpg or makin it smaller

wmv2mpg or makin it smaller

Postby suchiaruzu » May 7, 2001 @ 12:30am

Hi,<br>is that possible - somehow? I just got the Encoder for wmvs and wondered if it worked the other way.<br>You got any ideas? Thanks,<br>Shape
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Re: wmv2mpg or makin it smaller

Postby k » May 7, 2001 @ 12:59am

I think I know what you are saying - but I'm positive the results would be horrible. <br>Encoding something that has been encoded already = losing quality.  Think about making a copy of a VHS tape onto another VHS tape - but multiply that times a hundred. I don't even want to think about it.<br><br>With Mpeg 1 - You can squeeze alittle more than a minute per MB and get decent viewing quality. The more you push it - the worse the qualitty obviously. Changing from one format, than back to another is not going to help. In fact I'm guessing it would make it worse.<br><br>To further illustrate my point - Say I have a mpeg clip in mpeg that I encoded with 50 kbp Video and 64 kbps Audio. <br><br>The wmv version of the same clip would be smaller (because I could encode at lower birates with better results)<br><br>If I was to re-encode that wmv clip back to mpeg -it would still be set at 50 kbps and 64kbps Audio. The final mpeg would be practically the same size as the original but now the picture and audio would just suck ten times as much.
k
pm Member

Re: wmv2mpg or makin it smaller

Postby suchiaruzu » May 7, 2001 @ 8:27am

Yeah, that's right...<br>Thanks, I'm gonna get a larger CF-Card today!
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions