This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Full Length Movies for iPaq

Full Length Movies for iPaq

Postby Jurai » Jan 29, 2001 @ 2:22pm

(Note: I originally started a discussion like this on Brighthand, but decided this forum would be better for this subject)<br><br>I'm compiling a list of good movies/episodes (30 minutes minimum) available for the iPaq. Here's what I have so far:<br><br>-The Man Who Knew Too Little<br>-A Christmas Carrol<br>-The Third Man<br>-The Chinese Connection<br><br>Most of these are available at www.filmspeed.com and are legal believe it or not. <br><br>The ASF-Filmspeed files will work with any CF card providing it has enough space. <br><br>I'm very disappointed at the lack of movies in MPEG format. (am I the only one who thinks WMP7 video playback stinks comped to Pocket TV? I blame Microsoft for forcing these guys to use their crappy technology. )<br><br>I wish it wasn't such a grueling process to rip a DvD.  On my labtop, because of the amount of time it takes to decode them, it can take most of the day to do one..blasted Celeron.  I still like my idea of setting up a legit ring of people who own the same movies trading pocket pc versions with each other. ;)<br><br>I wish the big film companies would get a clue about the technology available and release Pocket PC versions. It'd make sense.<br><br>Dunno about the rest of you, but my house is stacked with DvDs and videos. (200+)  :)<br><br>To my knowledge, there still isn't anything out there for the people with the 1 Gig microdrives who want sound and film quality over saving space.<br><br>If anyone knows of any good movies in MPEG format please post in this thread or email me!<br><br>Jurai<br>hiigara@mail.com
Jurai

Re: Full Length Movies for iPaq

Postby BadIdea » Feb 4, 2001 @ 12:47pm

I'd be all to happy to help. I'm a bit confused about how to encode to mpeg4 format though. In the Howto section of this site it says to use flaskmpeg, but there is no codec in that program for mpeg4.<br><br>Where can I get that codec?<br><br>I also have 300+ DVDs and would love to encode for the pocket PC...
BadIdea

Postby Chris Edwards » Feb 4, 2001 @ 8:23pm

You can use a codec other than MPEG4 when encoding in flask.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby BadIdea » Feb 4, 2001 @ 8:34pm

Which codec will provide the results suggested in the Howto?
BadIdea

Postby Chris Edwards » Feb 4, 2001 @ 10:56pm

It's just a temporary codec... as long as you select the highest video quality in the codec, it should not affect the final quality....
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Jurai » Feb 5, 2001 @ 11:49am

Oh yes, other codecs work fine.  I ripped 4 30 minute clips from a DvD this weekend and it worked fine.  <br><br>Very, very time consuming as I was warned about.  This latest hobby of mine is also tempting me to waste the money on a new hardrive, 5 gigs free is just not enough when it comes to video ripping. :)<br><br>Anyone still interested in the legit movie ring idea?  Thoughts?<br><br>Jurai
Jurai

Postby Dan East » Feb 5, 2001 @ 1:08pm

Given the increased bandwidth available to home internet users, and the fact that 20 gig harddrives are commonplace, what you are talking about is just the tip of the iceburg.  Movies are going to be traded as ubiquitously as mp3s in the near future.  Add to that the amazing capabilities of devices like iPaqs, coupled with the equally amazing 2 gig microdrives, and one can see why this technology is really going to spread.  Imagine an iPaq with a video / S-video line output...<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby BadIdea » Feb 5, 2001 @ 3:01pm

I'm definitley interested in the movie ring. Happy to share what I rip. And as I mentioned, I have a large collection.
BadIdea

Postby Jurai » Feb 5, 2001 @ 7:46pm

We should probably just organize the ring here since everyone who has emailed me is from here.  Much easier that way.<br><br>I may be in and out of the loop over the next few days so by all means, don't rely on me to get everything started. ;)<br>
Jurai

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 26, 2001 @ 9:49pm

I have encoded/decoded some DVDs. More specifically, Gundam Wing Anime episodes. Jurai (hey, I knew I knew that name :) ), How are these not illegal. If I encode one of these things at the low quality needed for it to fit on a pocket pc that it becomes so degredated that it isn't considered the original work? I have a 1GB MicroDrive, so I can fit a HUGE video on it. But making the bitrate and quality that high isn't that great because the processor usually can't handle processing too much.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Steve Davis » Mar 11, 2001 @ 10:16am

I have encoded a few DVD's with good results..except for the amount of time..I have actually had pretty good luck using WinTV to encode videos to AVI. From there I use Tmpeg to turn into Mpeg1's. WinTV's AVI files are large, so I've had to bread 2 hour movies down into 2 or 3 chapters..
Steve Davis

Postby guest » Apr 5, 2001 @ 9:47pm

Why does everyone use flask, make an avi and then convert with tmpgenc?<br><br>I just used dvd2avi, save project (does not create a seperate avi) and encode with tmpgenc.  <br><br>total time = 4 hours<br>result = awesome

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 6, 2001 @ 2:45am

I put Gone in 60 Seconds on my pocket pc, it took me a total of 36 hours, and it cut off the last 10 minutes.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 6, 2001 @ 8:58am

I'm even lazier, I just plug my DVD player in to the S-video input on my ATI-All in Wonder Pro 128, and then I use the onboard mpeg encoder and record the movie straight to MPEG, and then put it on my microdrive.  <br>Total time: Length of the movie. :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby chuck » Apr 6, 2001 @ 1:18pm

or ddl it from irc<br><br>total time-50k/s 3 hours<br><br>o ya ican still use my comp. while i get it
chuck

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions