This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Asus A716 Giveaway

Postby netnem » Feb 17, 2004 @ 7:46pm

The Asus 716, being a feature packed PDA, is possibly one of the best PDAs on the market today. With that said, there are several ways I could use the Asus 716 in the real world.

The Asus 716 would greatly benefit my education with computer networking. I would be able to keep the entire router and switch configurations inside the Asus 716 for reference and as a backup of current configurations [of course another copy on the TFTP server too!]. While working with Cisco routers and Cisco Catalyst series switches, it would be extremely resourceful to have a subnet/wildcard mask calculator preferably with VLSM support. Also, would be very nice to be able to console and program the router/switch while standing AT the router [using the 802.11b]. Keeping track of the VLANs, port security settings, and MAC address tables, would also be a lot easier to document [and more easily accessible should something go wrong!]. The dual expansion slots, with the Bluetooth capabilities, would work out GREAT with a Bluetooth GPS. I could keep all of the map information on the CF card and all of the other programs on the SD card. I am always getting house calls to work on computers, but often times have difficulty finding their houses.

In the end, the Asus 716 would unquestionably help with my daily activities. Currently, I cannot justify the purchase of a laptop as it just seems to be overkill for what I would actually use it for. However, whether configuring routers or switches, to taking a house call, the Asus 716 would help out enormously.
netnem

Postby chuck » Feb 17, 2004 @ 7:55pm

i will take advantage of the wireless features by throwing it across the room when they don't connect.
chuck
pm Insider

Postby CTSLICK » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:02pm

The obvious:
PIM (PI 5.0)
Textmaker
Excel
HanDBase

The wireless:
Bluetooth in conjunction with my T608 and Sprint Vision. I use this to hook up to our network (using the Citrix client) and check email and maybe some light web browsing

802.11b at home and, very soon, our office.
CTSLICK
pm Member

Postby Tengoku » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:07pm

I just want one because my old one is about to die. It's a sad story, you know.
Tengoku
pm Member

Postby BeyondTheTech » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:11pm

How would I best take advantage of all the features the a716 offers?

I'd stand by the Palm and Handspring display sections of all the retail electronic and office supply stores for hours at a time, watch videos and connect to hotspots and other devices around the area, view streaming video from my home PC and videoconference with others, just to show what they wouldn't be getting if they bought the "other" platform, and recruit these saved souls into the wonderful world of Windows Mobile.

Heck, I could probably win them over with the features of a MIPS-processor-based Casiopeia E-115. :lol:

Or, how about this? As programmer of the , I'm sure I could find a way, or have people help me find a way to give some functionality to the program, rather than just having plain fun. But, isn't that what it's mostly about anyway? The Asus A716 will surely... make it so!
Last edited by BeyondTheTech on Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeyondTheTech
pm Member

Beat Phillip Torrone once

Postby Guest » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:18pm

I would try to beat Phillip Torrone (<a href="www.flashenabled.com">www.flashenabled.com</a>) to one crazy new use for the PDA. I would like to use it as an advanced Surveillance device allong with a new tiny wireless camera on a Remote control Balloon and a wired camera on a Submergible container.

The Ballon camera would allow surveillance from the air to spot say, deers, in a field. The submergible camera would allow to spy on fish for sport fishing or nature observation.

The Asus would be required to process the images on real time to clarify pictures, detect movement, etc. This requires a pretty hefty CPU.

BTW, if my wife asks, the camera and such is for a Nanny-cam to watch the baby at night. If the baby asks, It is one more way to watch Barney and Dora the Explorer on Road Trips. :)

old casio replacement

Postby powder2000 » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:21pm

I would use it to replace my aging eg-800 which is in its own right an awesome machine. The problem is not my eg but rather the fact that programs are not really being developed for these devices anymore. This would give me a chance to catch up on some of the newer stuff out there.
powder2000
pm Member

I would watch streamed movies from my video server

Postby heyday » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:28pm

heyday
pm Member

Postby ipaqmonster » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:29pm

ipaqmonster
pm Member

Postby Slats13 » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:33pm

Slats13
pm Member

Postby crwoo » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:34pm

crwoo
pm Member

Postby Filip Norrgard » Feb 17, 2004 @ 8:43pm

I would use it for my university studies. Yes, seriously. :)

My primary reason for getting a Pocket PC was just that, managing my schedule and my assignments. I can say that it is worth it, since I can find manage my schedule lots faster than those still (stuck) with a paper calender. Furthermore, my Pocket PC has taken relatively much workload of my back and helped me to sleep well at night. And I thank it for that.

However, recently my Compaq iPaq 3870 has begun bugging around with all sorts of strange spontaneous problems like syncing only after five soft resets. :? I've also grown tired of the dreaded color problem that the screen has. Eg. the orange color looks red and dark red looks black. :x It's sometimes irritating when I like to color-code my schedule.

And, as my iPaq model lacks SDIO support I haven't gotten to try out the fresh new WiFi network that my Uni and neighboring polytechnics have put up. It would be nice to browse the web and sign up for exams as needed from any classroom using a Pocket PC. (And imagine how much my productivity increases! :wink: )

Finally, good luck to all the other participants! :D
Filip Norrgård
go.manywhere with your Pocket PC! ;)
Filip Norrgard
pm Member

Postby timbur » Feb 17, 2004 @ 9:04pm

Bluetooth & 802.11o with my phone & router...
SD & CFII - my MMC card, CF cards & my IBM Microdrive!
What's more the battery life will actually run the Microdrive...

PS - I've got a case that will fit it too!
timbur
pm Member

What I will and will not do...

Postby arebelspy » Feb 17, 2004 @ 9:05pm

I would do nearly everything that everyone before and after me mentioned. Probably more too.

Some things I would and would not most notibly do:

- I would power sponge's war machine, stealing damned souls and whatnot.

- I would do that thing regarding keeping NightStar's wife or mom or fiancée or whatever (maybe all three) happy. I'd probably do this one twice.

- I would monitor Banffbears' house. Not that I don't do that anyways. *shifty eyes*

- I would not give away my current pocket pc, or this one if I won it. Anyone who says that is sucking up, and deserves to lose.

- I will throw it around chuck's room when it doesn't work.

- I don't wish anyone else good luck. Again with the sucking up. Please.

- I won't win this contest.

- I will be jealous of whomever does win.

- I won't believe whoever wins will actually do any of the things they claimed. (Yeah, you're gonna give it away. Sure you are.)

- I will try to update this as new posts in this thread come in (if they are sufficiently amusing to mock).

-arebelspy
arebelspy
pm Member

Postby nice_micael » Feb 17, 2004 @ 9:05pm

First would take it to school since they jst have invested in a wifi network.
Second i would use the bluetooth feature to simply surf the web when im in the buss or walking.
I have a reason to get a gps.
My mum wants a pda and then i could give her my ipaq.
Read ebooks on it and plenty more.
nice_micael
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions