This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Question

Question

Postby doomshot » Dec 29, 2006 @ 9:26am

I'm sorry if this is actually the wrong forum or that it has already been asked before but I am wondering if I am able to use PPC applications upon the HPC2000 operating system. You see I got a HP Jornada 720 for Christmas so I am wondering if this is possible. I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this kind of question.
doomshot
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Dec 29, 2006 @ 11:42am

That's a good question.

The short answer is no. It is missing various shell libraries, like aygshell (shows and displays the virtual keyboard), that the majority of applications built for Pocket PC require. Next, even a larger majority of PPC applications are hardcoded for a specific display resolution (240x320) which is too tall to directly map to your display (640x240). So even if you could get that app to run at all it will not render correctly.

There are a decent number of ports of various apps to H/PC. For example Quake and ScummVM.

seems to have a lot of free H/PC games.

Someone made a of various H/PC apps.

So there's a lot out there, you just have to dig, and realize that most of it hasn't been updated in years.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby doomshot » Dec 29, 2006 @ 3:06pm

I see, I looked into it and I integrated the necessary shell libraries in the system and that seems to get around that and I'm now able to use the PPC programs. I got around the Display Resolution using a virtual display which I can customize around to fit most standard dimensions, I'm able to switch the orientation and GAPI seems to get over any other of my Graphic problems. I just needed to do the digging like you said I should.
doomshot
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions