This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

How's sound going on ?

How's sound going on ?

Postby Buster » Jan 23, 2002 @ 9:44am

Hey Andys!
Well, how's song implementation going on ?
Can't wait to listen to the nice melody of Monkey 2 again.

Thanx for this masterpiece of software. I think it's one of the best software ever written for PocketPc.

Bye,

Buster
Buster

Postby andys » Jan 23, 2002 @ 11:46am

Well, sound apparently works nicely on the ARM, and (with slightly reduced quality) - equally well on the MIPS. However, while reducing quality I seem to have made it rather tempo-tastic - it now runs twice as fast as it should do, although it does sound amusing ;>

I'm planning on merging the sound tree and the normal tree at some point, putting in 8-bit Jornada stuff that Vasyl has offered me, and sticking in a virtual keyboard that Shapeshifter is knocking up. Then it should be done - and at the very least as compliant as scummvm can be.
andys
pm Member

Postby mark (killzat) » Jan 23, 2002 @ 11:56am

Well you know I'm here to test another build when you have it Andy =). I'll try speech out with DOTT tomorrow since DOTT seems to sound the best out of all the games - hmm Monkey2 is ok but I can't find the CD version with speech for that one =(.

Do the sound FX, music and speech routines all play as one under SCUMMVM or could you technically code an option to disable / enable different bits? So for example, disable sound and enable speech + FX?
mark (killzat)

Postby mark (killzat) » Jan 23, 2002 @ 12:00pm

Sorry I meant to say disable music - not sound - DOH.
mark (killzat)

Postby andys » Jan 23, 2002 @ 12:25pm

The sound implementation is done using adlib emulation. This is then mixed every so often into a 4K block, along with sound effects and probably speech. That's then dumped into the sound system.

The music used to be disableable (oooh, a new word) with the USE_IMUSE define, but I disabled that and had no effect, so there might be something I haven't looked at yet.

Oh yeah, the sound might be slightly too fast in places even when I'm done - which is why I want to test this. Although my hacked Linux version seems to play the speech properly in DOTT
andys
pm Member

Postby mark (killzat) » Jan 23, 2002 @ 3:23pm

Is there anything special that needs doing for Speech files to work/be loaded?
mark (killzat)

Postby andys » Jan 23, 2002 @ 5:37pm

andys
pm Member

Return to Pocket Scumm

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this port of ScummVM for the Pocket PC.

Moderators:

sponge, Arisme, andys

Forum permissions