This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketFrog Suggestions Thread

Postby fzammetti » Feb 25, 2003 @ 7:51pm

Well, judging by the response to the previous thread about the new torch-bearer, it seems that I will in fact wind up being the guy that maintains PF from here on out. There's still the possibility of someone else stepping up, but I'm going to start thinking as if it's me and go from here.

As soon as Gersen completes 0.2.4 of PocketFrogPlus, that will be our starting point. A few days after he delivers that, I'll package it up, adding the appropriate new documentation and whatever else might be needed, and make it available to all as PocketFrog v1.0.

To start, I'd like to open this thread up to suggestions on what we'd like to see done with PF.

Once I have a list of wishes I can start to prioritize them and hopefully get others to take portions of the work to do. I'll even try and post a very rough and loose project plan so we can all have a clear picture of timelines, when that is appropriate (and possible!)

At this point, the following things come to my mind:

(1) I'd like to add some of the functions I myself have previously posted here including:

* VGA font function for drawing text using standard 8x16 VGA non-proportional fonts

* Filled polygon function

* Flood fill, for filling arbitrary non-rectangular areas with a solid color

(2) I think I've seen people asking for a polygon function, even though it's somewhat pointless given that you can simply use the line functions now on your own, but what the hell, it should be fairly trivial to do, so why not?

(3) I forget who, but someone posted here that they had written a rotating & stretching blitter that they would be willing to integrate. I'd like to see that get added.

(4) I'd like to include as many custom pixel shaders as possible, if not directly as part of PF and always available, than at least included with the distribution. I currently have a fade shader and a greyscale shader I can include, the infrared shader has of course been posted here and can be included. If anyone has others, that would be cool.

(5) I notice that when you draw a rectangle using the current rectangle functions, the bottom right-hand corner pixel does not get blitted. Minor thing, but it should probably get resolved. I think this is the only "bug" I'm aware of.

(6) Thierry has left a couple of to-do's in the code (three I think I found). They should probably get, umm... done! :)

(7) I'd like to put together an all-encompassing tester sample app. My thought is that this app should exercise every capability of PF in something like a benchmark format (although it's not really meant for testing speed, it could be used that way). This would allow us to compile a list of devices that PF might have trouble on and perhaps even, contrary to what I just said!, benchmark information. This could help us determine what we need to do in the future to make PF better and keep it compatible with as many devices as possible. I think such a database would help all of us when releasing software as well in terms of supporting our users.

Please post anything else you guys can think of and we'll get some things moving.
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Dave Johnston » Feb 25, 2003 @ 8:58pm

Would it be too much to ask (incidentally, yes, yes it would) for a PC version of PF - like GapiDraw? We would have less people asking for PC conversions that way :)

Can't think of anything else but that right now. Depends really if PF is to remain a basic (graphics) API for game development or if it eventually spans out to encompass many other things too. Personally I think it's fine as it is covering just graphics and sound (via Plus) - anything more (like integrated network functions etc) would turn it into bloatware. IMO, the focus should remain on what PF was first made for.
- Dave Johnston
- http://www.johnsto.co.uk/
Dave Johnston
pm Insider

Postby Kzinti » Feb 25, 2003 @ 9:04pm

Kzinti
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » Feb 25, 2003 @ 9:07pm

fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby adde » Feb 25, 2003 @ 9:22pm

adde
pm Member

Postby adde » Feb 25, 2003 @ 9:27pm

adde
pm Member

Postby adde » Feb 25, 2003 @ 9:31pm

adde
pm Member

Postby Pam » Feb 25, 2003 @ 10:04pm

All the easy problems have been solved.
Pam
pm Insider

Postby Presto » Feb 25, 2003 @ 10:26pm

Frank,

I think, based on what I've seen so far, you're an excellent person for the job. You've got my support, and hopefully I'll be able to make some meaningful contributions.

The one thing I'd love to see in PF is 3D functionality, even at a rudimentary level. (Perhaps using Frank's fill-poly function, where the poly's are all triangles wouldn't be too complex.) Hopefully I can get around to doing something after I finish up my next couple of projects.

Pam, I think those two functions could easily be written to just call the existing functions.

PS. Thanks for the review on PocketGamer Frank! I totally didn't expect it, and truly appreciate it.

-John
Presto
pm Insider

Postby Kzinti » Feb 25, 2003 @ 10:37pm

Kzinti
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » Feb 25, 2003 @ 11:00pm

fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Kzinti » Feb 25, 2003 @ 11:47pm

Kzinti
pm Member

Postby Presto » Feb 26, 2003 @ 12:03am

Presto
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Feb 26, 2003 @ 12:20am

fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Dave Johnston » Feb 26, 2003 @ 12:35am

- Dave Johnston
- http://www.johnsto.co.uk/
Dave Johnston
pm Insider

Next

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions