This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Offscreen for overlapping (another question from BIGBEN)

Offscreen for overlapping (another question from BIGBEN)

Postby BIGBEN » Mar 24, 2003 @ 12:43am

BIGBEN
pm Member

please explain overlapping?

Postby Conan » Mar 24, 2003 @ 12:10pm

What do you mean by overlapping? PocketFrog can tell when 2 surfaces are overlapping using Rects to spot the collision. One of my articles covers this ( see http://www.sundialsoft.co.uk PocketFrog pages )
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby BIGBEN » Mar 24, 2003 @ 2:21pm

BIGBEN
pm Member

Postby BIGBEN » Mar 24, 2003 @ 2:28pm

BIGBEN
pm Member

Pixel perfect using masks

Postby Conan » Mar 24, 2003 @ 3:20pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » Mar 24, 2003 @ 7:20pm

I've been wondering about this myself...

If you do a pixel-based collision detection, probably most likely after a bounding rectangle algo indicates a collision (to gain some increased accuracy in detection), it seems to me that it will be slightly more difficult than it should be (or than I'd like it to be anyway!)...

When you load an image, the RGB values you wind up with on a surface aren't necasserily the same as what is really in your image. For instance, RGB 255/255/255 I think (someone check me!) actually winds up being 63/63/63. In other words, if you have a solid white rectangle and you load it and do a GetPixel based on it later, you won't get the result 255/255/255 as you might expect, but instead 63/63/63.

So, the complication arises in that you have to take this into account when doing your checks. You'll have to pre-determine what the sorface values will be on the surface based on your actual source image.

Alternatively, can you reconstitute the original values? I assume not, seems obvious that you are losing numeric accuracy when the "downshift" occurs, you can't get that back later?

Am I missing something obvious here? That wouldn't surprise me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Pam » Mar 24, 2003 @ 7:44pm

Hi

255, 255, 255 RGB will be 31, 63, 31 RGB on a 565 format, which most (if not all?) Pocket PCs are.

But, I always thought pixel collision detection was done with binary masks. AND the masks together and if any pixel is 1 then there is a collision.

Pam
All the easy problems have been solved.
Pam
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Mar 24, 2003 @ 8:02pm

Ah, your right, forgot it's 565... Argh.

Anyway... I know there are a number of different collision detection methods... I'm actually not familiar with the binary mask method, could you elaborate?

The way I've always done it, in the instances where pixel-level detection is required (I tend to use bounding circles alone most of the time), is to look for specific RGB values... for instance, a space ship colliding with an asteroid, I would have an outline of one or both of them be a specific color (assuming a black background for space, maybe I'd make the outline RGB 1/1/1), then just check for that in the pixels where the movement will be (i.e., ship moving to the right I'd check the pixels at shipX + shipWidth + 1 for my 1/1/1 RGB values before I actually do the move, going along the right edge of my ship so I'm only testing a single column of pixels). It's easy enough to code and relatively efficient when moving in the four cardinal directions, diagonals tends to be just a bit more difficult to code, but not terribly so.

I'm absolutely certain that's not the best way efficiency-wise, but depending on the sizes of the graphics and other factors it may not hurt your performance to a degree that matters.

But I'm interested in other techniques for sure...
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Pam » Mar 24, 2003 @ 9:38pm

I haven't really thought this through yet, so maybe it isn't the best way to do the collision detection, but what I would do is create a pixel shader to blit the ship where all 'background' is 0 and all 'foreground' is non-zero creating a binary mask. I would then use another pixel shader to blit 2 masks together, ANDing the values. You would have to blit them in their appropriate relative locations, of course. Then check to see if the result has any non-zero values. If so, then a collision has happened (haven't thought how best to do this test yet).

Anyway, that's my thought on it. Perhaps not the most efficient way either, but does handle cases where the two sprites (or whatever) are moving more than a single pixel at a time.

Pam
Pam
pm Insider

Postby Pam » Mar 24, 2003 @ 9:41pm

Well, just thinking some more, no need for 2 pixel shaders or masks. Should be able to have a pixel shader that ANDed the src and dest pixels, then do the final test for non-zero values.

Pam
Pam
pm Insider

Improving Speed

Postby FireElemental » May 18, 2003 @ 12:27am

FireElemental

Pixel perfect collision detection..

Postby jbella » May 18, 2003 @ 8:49am

Would anyone be intrested if i published a pixel perfect collision detection function here?
jbella
pm Member

Pixel perfect collision detection..

Postby Dave Johnston » May 18, 2003 @ 12:47pm

Dave Johnston
pm Insider

Pixel perfect collsion detection

Postby jbella » May 18, 2003 @ 6:42pm

jbella
pm Member

Postby Johan » May 19, 2003 @ 9:45am

As with most graphic operations, you will get at least a 2x performance boost by simply checking what pitch value is smaller (x or y) and use that for the inner loop. You also might want to adjust the pixel pointer so that the pitch value of the inner loop is positive. I would guess that the performance of your loop would improve around 2.3 times on devices such as the IPAQ 36xx and 38xx series (with their 90 degree display rotation) if you do this...
Johan
pm Member

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions