This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketFrog v0.7.0 now available

PocketFrog v0.7.0 now available

Postby fzammetti » Jun 12, 2003 @ 5:48am

I thought it would a few more days, but then tonight I realized I was done! I did implement one final change courtesy of adde's suggestion in the previous thread, I think it makes it a fair bit better.

Here's the final list of changes:

----------

+ Continued building SuperSample. It's still not done, but it does show a bit more now, including one way to do frame rate limiting. This was supposed to be added to PF, but because of some problems I ran into in implementing it, I'm leaving it out, at least for now. See this example if you want to set a frame rate in your games.

+ Added "desktopZoom" attribute to m_config structure. This allows you to zoom the window size to any multiple on a desktop PC. You CAN use this on a PocketPC device as well, it won't bomb or anything, but it's pretty much pointless there, so generally you should simply not set any value at all, which will zoom to 1x, a 240x320 window as usual in other words. Setting it to zero or one does the same thing. Any other value will simply multiply the width and height by that amount. So, if you do m_config.desktopZoom=2; in your Init method, you will get a window that is 480x640, =3 would give you 720x960, etc.

+ Built lib files are now included with the PF distribution. I'm not sure if they were prior to 0.6.1, but they weren't in that release, and they probably should be, if for no other reason than convenience. They are separated out in directories for PocketPC, PocketPC 2002 and x86 (desktop).

+ Added sample "hekkus" to show how to hook into that sound library without needing to use PocketFrogPlus (PF development can now continue
independant of Hekkus!) You will need to install Hekkus of course and be sure to read the comments in hekkus.cpp to see how to set up paths.

+ Added sample app by Damian Ancukiewicz to show how to use pixel shaders. Included are three useful shaders: greyscale shader, fade shader and an 8-bit shader.

+ Added two methods to Game class: void GameSuspend() and void GameResume(). These are called, as you would expect when the application is suspended (i.e., low battery warning message) and resumed (i.e., message is dismissed) accordingly. These are needed to properly hook into sound libraries such as Hekkus. Override them and do whatever you please with them. See the Hekkus sample for usage example.

+ Added Rasterizer::FillPoly to draw filled polygons. Pass it (Point[], int pointCount, Pixel). The method only handles convex polygons and polygons that are vertically concave, that is, a polygon cannot have more than two edge points on the same horizontal line. Thanks to Andreas Hedström for optimizing and improving my original code for this function. See SuperSample for an example.

+ Added Rasterizer::BlitRotatedStretch to draw surfaces that are both stretched and rotated, at the same time. Pass it (int destx, int desty, float angle, const Surface* source, Surface* stretch_surface, const Rect* src_rect). The width and height of stretch_surface are taken to be the dinensions to stretch the surface to. Remember that you must delete the surface when you are done with it. You can reuse it as many times as you want first. Note that this implementation is nothing more than calls to the BlitStretch and BlitRotated methods, in that order. As such, performance is no better than calling these two yourself individually. This should only be thought of as a convenience method for now (the plan is to implement it properly as a combined transformation matrix, which should be noticeably better performing). Thanks to Andreas Hedström for the original implementation.

- Removed all sample projects from the "Make" workspace.

! Fixed a bug in the VGADrawText function that caused the X location to be ignored in all cases. You should now be able to position text anywhere on the screen.

! Fixed some errors that would keep PF from compiling for Win32 (I had never done that in the prior version so I didn't see the errors). Also made similar changes to the samples so they will compile when targeted to Win32, so everything should now compile and run properly on a desktop as well as a PocketPC device.

----------

Please report any and all problems you spot ASAP so I can get any required fixes out quickly. As near as I can tell, I haven't broken anything, which is always a plus :)
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Jun 12, 2003 @ 5:52am

I forgot one minor thing in the documentation...

The BlitRotatedStretch method is overloaded to accept two int's for the destination location (as specified in the docs) as well as a Point, just to keep in consistent with most of the other methods now.
fzammetti
pm Insider

Sweet!

Postby telamon » Jun 14, 2003 @ 5:54pm

--------------------------------
Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.
--------------------------------
telamon
pm Member

Postby damian » Jun 14, 2003 @ 6:01pm

damian
pm Insider

Sound in PocketFrog

Postby Conan » Jun 14, 2003 @ 6:44pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby damian » Jun 15, 2003 @ 6:48pm

Those libraries don't have anything to do with PocketFrog... do they?
damian
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Jun 15, 2003 @ 6:56pm

Which libraries, FMod, MikMod and such?

Conan just meant that those three have been used with PF in the past. They aren't in and of themselves anything to do with PF. Hekkus did previously in the PocketFrogPlus line, but as Conan said, that has been discontinued with the release of PF 0.7.0, sinve there's no need for Gersen to do that separetely any more.
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Conan » Jun 15, 2003 @ 7:26pm

What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby damian » Jun 15, 2003 @ 7:55pm

Yes... my point was that normal, vanilla PocketFrog has no sound support, which means that something else has to be used for sound but doesn't mean sound can't be used at all. Sorry if I worded it badly.
damian
pm Insider

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions