This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketHAL status update

Postby fzammetti » Sep 23, 2003 @ 12:52pm

...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby JoostB » Sep 23, 2003 @ 6:34pm

JoostB
pm Member

Postby Guest » Sep 23, 2003 @ 7:06pm

Postby Conan » Sep 23, 2003 @ 7:15pm

Hi Frank, you miss-understood :), I currently do all the dev work on VC6 (& performance is fine). What I want to know is whether I need to wait for the DirectX stuff before I can consider converting.
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » Sep 23, 2003 @ 7:19pm

Your right, to a point. I agree that Thierry has enough to do to get the current PF code base working with PHAL, and I for one wouldn't rag on him if the next release didn't include DX support (which he's already said it won't, and I'm perfectly OK with that answer).

However, you have to understand what prompted my bringing it up...

I started a project about four months ago which is now quite far along, based on GapiDraw, and the PRIMARY reason I did so was because of it's DX support. I loved the idea of a simultaneous desktop/PocketPC release. If it wasn't for that, chances are I never would have left PF in the first place.

Now, with the GD licensing mess, I have an extremely difficult choice to make. If I go back to PF as it stands today, I can't do the desktop release (because GDI simply won't cut it). So, the availability of the DX driver for PHAL, and a rough timeframe for it's release, is a very important question for me. I need to be able to plan the next 4-6 months of development, and when (or even if) a DX driver for PHAL is coming is an important consideration for me.

Put me personally aside for a moment though...

I think we're going to see a mass exodus of people leaving GD, unless VI has a major change of heart. In fact, at least two people have already said good ridance, and they are looking to PF as an alternative.

I think all of us, and Thierry has said as much lately, would like to see PF match and eventually excede GD's level of functionality. One of the pieces to that equation, arguably a very large piece, is DX support.

Your right, Thierry has always stated that PF is a PocketPC toolkit. However, the architecture of PHAL as desribed almost SCREAMS DX support, among other platforms.

And, I'm sure Thierry will say this in a few minutes, as he's done many times in the past... PocketFrog has always been a hobby for him, I doubt very much he's feeling any pressure whatsoever :)
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Sep 23, 2003 @ 7:21pm

Me, misunderstand something? Conan, surely you jest! ;)

I'm not sure I understood your question then actually...
fzammetti
pm Insider

Previous

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions