This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketHAL fullscreen questions

PocketHAL fullscreen questions

Postby rajs20 » Feb 28, 2005 @ 5:43pm

Hi,

I was using GAPI for my game but I had some problems with fullscreen:

1. If a system message pops up over my app (like "please re-insert the storage card" or "low battery"), then my game suspends drawing. The problem is, if the user drags the messagebox around on the screen, it leaves copies of itself on the screen, making a mess.

2. Sometimes if I am in the game and then I switch tasks (for example, I press the "calendar" button on my iPaq), then the calendar window will show up correctly, but the title bar of the calendar window will be either partially or completely overwritten by the game's graphics, EVEN though I am suspending on WM_KILLFOCUS

So, after lots of experimenting, I am getting sick of GAPI and would like to give PocketHAL a shot. So, I have two questions about PocketHAL:

1. Does anyone know if the above problems would be fixed if I switch to PocketHAL?

2. Is there any sample app w/ source code included that I could look at, which plays nice with windows? I was looking at some fireworks demo (pretty cool) but it disables task switching altogether (if you press the calendar button, nothing happens), so I was unable to test if it would work properly or not.

Thanks very much,

Raj
rajs20

Postby roos » Feb 28, 2005 @ 7:33pm

Hi, this is the original poster.I wanted to clarify a bit exactly what the problem is that I'm having...

Here's what I did:
-I opened up the code for the Fireworks demo that comes with PocketHAL
-I added a ShellExecuteEx() call which opens up another application any time you press a key
-Now, I run the fireworks demo, and I press a key to open up an app, and *while the app is loading*, I close it at the exact same time by clicking on the "X" in the upper-right corner

When I do these steps, I get the following problem:
-The title bar of the window I just opened has a rectangle where I can see the game graphics overwritten onto it.

So for example, let's say I had an app which simply drew a red screen, and then while it was running, I open up the "contacts" window and close that window at the exact moment that I open it. This is roughly what I am seeing:

I'm pretty stumped about this. It's a glitch that has been haunting me, no matter whether I use GAPI or PocketHAL. (Although if I use GDI, it works fine).

Any clues?

Thanks!

Raj
roos
pm Member

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions