This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Tutorial on how to compile PocketFrog library in VS2005

Tutorial on how to compile PocketFrog library in VS2005

Postby chipxsd » Aug 26, 2005 @ 4:03pm

Here is a brief tutorial on "How to compile PocketFrog 8.1 with Visual Studio 2005".

01.) Unzip the PocketFrog_0_8_1.zip file in to our projects directory (mine is d:\WinCE_Projects). Ok, so now we've got a new folder (in your projects folder) named PocketFrog - that's d:\WinCE_Projects\PocketFrog on my system.

01.5) I've downloaded the PF_0_8_1_bugfix_5.zip file from forum, and unzipped the \source folder in to my pocketFrog's \source folder. I don't know if this is doing any good, but if you aren't sure about this (like me), skip this step...

02.) Let's run the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, and start a new project... under the menu: File -> New -> Project... In the New Project dialog select the Visual C++ Project Type, then the Smart Device and finally Win32 Smart Device Project. Project can be named however we like, mine will be named make_vs2005. Under location enter the pocketFrog folder (d:\WinCE_Projects\PocketFrog). Don't forget to uncheck the Create directory for solution option. Press the 'OK' button.

03.) In Project Wizard go to Application Settings and select the Windows application type. We have to check the Empty project option. Press Finish.

04.) Now we have an empty Smart Device project ready in our Visual Studio 2005.
It's time to add some files in to our project, but first let's prepare the folders in our project. Delete all the project folders - Header Files, Resource Files and Source Files. And now add the following folders: Documentation, Foreign, Framework, Internal and Source.
- Add existing files history.txt and license.txt (found in \PocketFrog folder) into Documentation folder
- Add existing files (found in \PocketFrog\source\foreign\boost and ..\imgdecmp folders) imgdecmp.h imgrendr.h scoped_array.hpp scoped_ptr.hpp and utility.hpp into Foreign folder
- Add existing files (found in \PocketFrog\source\framework) game.cpp and game.h in to Framework folder
- Add existing files (found in \PocketFrog\source\internal) algo2d.h memfile.cpp memfile.h raster2d.cpp and raster2d.h in to Internal folder
- Add existing files (found in \PocketFrog\source) config.h defs.h display.cpp & .h image.cpp & .h PocketPc.cpp & .h rasterizer.cpp & .h rect.cpp & .h surface.cpp & .h in to Source folder
- Add existing file (found in \PocketFrog\PocketFrog) PocketFrog.h to Source folder

05.) All needed files are now added in the project. Let's setup the project now. Go to the project properties and select configuration for All Configurations.

06.) Under Configuration Properties -> General:
- set Configuration Type to Static Livrary (.lib), and press OK (dialog will change)
Under C/C++ -> General
- add .. to Additional Include Directiories
Under C/C++ -> Code Generation
- set Buffer Security Check to No (/GS-) : Note that this setting sometimes automatically jumps back to Yes ... werid ...
Under Librarian -> General[/]b
- set [b]Output File
to ..\lib\PocketFrog_ARM_VS2005_Debug.lib for debug configuration
- set Output File to ..\lib\PocketFrog_ARM_VS2005.lib for release configuration
07.) I think that's it folks. Rebuild the project with both debug and release configurations, and go see the \PocketFrog\Lib folder ;)

I'm a beginner in c++ coding, so if this tutorial doesn't work for you, don't be surprised ... I've attached my make_VS2005 project files, if it helps in any way. Copy the 'make_vs2005' folder (from the zip) in your \pocketFrog folder.
Next time, I'll write a little tutorial on how to compile those PocketFrog samples.
Attachments
make_vs2005.zip
Project files of make_VS2005
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 812 times
chipxsd
pm Member

Postby Conan » Aug 26, 2005 @ 4:49pm

Great, many thanks. I will give this a try when I have the appropriate stuff set up.

Would you mind if I re-publish on my PocketFrog articles we pages (with full name credit) ?
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

Postby chipxsd » Aug 26, 2005 @ 5:18pm

chipxsd
pm Member

Postby jarell » Aug 31, 2005 @ 8:37am

jarell
pm Member

Postby chipxsd » Aug 31, 2005 @ 9:08am

I don't know... probably.

If you can compile the library in eVC, you can get it to compile in VS2005 - but with a few changes in compiler and linker settings. Look at the tutorial.

When compiling real application, make sure you add OLDNAMES.lib in to Ignore Specific Library in your linker settings. And set the Buffer Security Check to No too.
chipxsd
pm Member

Postby dyn » Aug 31, 2005 @ 1:45pm

dyn
pm Member

Postby chipxsd » Aug 31, 2005 @ 7:15pm

chipxsd
pm Member

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions