This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketFrog overview

PocketFrog overview

Postby Dave Johnston » Jun 10, 2002 @ 6:25pm

Dave Johnston
pm Insider

How it all works?

Postby Conan » Jun 11, 2002 @ 11:40am

Hi Dave, I'm equally interested in this topic but also very interested in the roadmap for PocketFrog about which I will post separately.

I have been up & down the current & previous source a few times now and I am getting comfortable with how the system works. Not being an OO programmer has not been too big a drawback. From a game development point of view I don;t need to know much more before I start coding for real.

I'm not the person to answer your post but I can offer the following simple & no doubt flawed overview most of which I'm sure you know already

1. PocketFrog (PF) uses the concept of surfaces. eg: if you have a graphic you put it on a surface to do something with it, usually drawing to the screen. Surfaces can be used with CE GDI features as well as the built-in PF ones.

2. PF controls the running game & 'jumps' to the init & loop parts to let the game programmer do his/her own thing.

3. There are some other fundamental features including RECT & POINT which make many operations easier.

4. Each time round the game loop, like in most games, the screen is setup on a hidden page which is copied to the actual display once everything is ready to go.

5. Screen taps & hard buttons are handled by built-in functions.

So it's a simple & fast system to use with little or no complex stuff to stop you getting into it but of course not enough documentation. (When I wrote games in the 80's it was all in assembler & every line was commented. I still have the habit)
What is Best in Life ?
Conan
pm Member

How it all works?

Postby Dave Johnston » Jun 11, 2002 @ 11:54am

Dave Johnston
pm Insider

Postby Kzinti » Jun 11, 2002 @ 5:34pm

Kzinti
pm Member

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions