This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

DirectX

DirectX

Postby Guest » Aug 18, 2005 @ 9:01pm

I am building an app for Window Mobile 5.0 and above. Microsoft has said that GAPI is being phased out in favor of DirectX. Will you be supporting GAPIDraw on top of DirectX rather than GAPI soon?

Thanks.

Postby Johan » Aug 24, 2005 @ 2:48pm

Johan Sanneblad, M.Sc, Ph.D
GapiDraw Systems Architect
[]
Johan
pm Member

Postby Fro » Jan 26, 2006 @ 7:05pm

I downloaded the evaluation version and in a few hours had an impressive sample app running on the PocketPC and the desktop. I was most impressed with the memory footprint of the custom png decompressor. Unfortunately my application will also need to operate on a few Windows CE .NET 4.2 devices. Any chance of GAPIDraw working with DirectDraw on a 4.2 device? In August you mentioned work being done for GAPIDraw on top of DirectX. Any chance of an alpha version?
Fro
pm Member

Postby Kiyote » Jan 26, 2006 @ 7:28pm

I'm pretty sure that MS has said they have no intentions of back-porting DX support to older WCE devices. Not only that, but it's up to manufacturers to implement a DX driver for their WCE5 device, and also up to them how much of the API to support.

I looked in to this and the Dell x51v does support DirectX, but pretty much only the Sprite class, and that's about it. Everything else throws a DriverUnsupportedFeature exception.

Given this, I really don't see how they could get GapiDraw using DirectX on those other devices. However, on those older devices GapiDraw should run most acceptably.
Kiyote
pm Member

Postby Fro » Jan 26, 2006 @ 8:20pm

Does GAPIDraw work on devices other than PocketPCs? I thought GAPIDraw required GAPI and that only PocketPCs have it?
Fro
pm Member

Postby Kiyote » Jan 26, 2006 @ 10:22pm

No offence, but a trivial amount of effort would have revealed your answer for you.

http://www.gapidraw.com/gapidraw-devicesupport.php
Kiyote
pm Member

Postby Johan » Jan 27, 2006 @ 8:23am

Johan Sanneblad, M.Sc, Ph.D
GapiDraw Systems Architect
[]
Johan
pm Member

Return to GapiDraw

Sort

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions