This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

WM2005 PDA Recommendations

WM2005 PDA Recommendations

Postby schmosef » Sep 23, 2006 @ 7:20am

Hi All,

Last time I was looking into developing a game for PocketPC I saw something shiny in the distance and got distracted for a few years. :oops:

With the recent price drop of GAPIDraw my interest has peaked again.

I'm wondering what a good model of WM2005 PDA would be for me to use for development/testing.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Last time I was investigating this topic the iPAQ 1900 series seemed like a popular choice but that was years ago.

Are there any current models that implement the graphics acceleration tech that nVidia and one or two other companies were hyping a while back?

Aside from a good graphics subsystem any advice on models that are generally good for app debugging would be appreciated. I had an iPAQ 5450 several years ago and it had a glitch that caused the firmware to get corrupted if you ran the embedded VC++ debugger on it and stepped into an API call. It took HP a LONG time to admit the problem and release a firmware patch to fix it. Maybe this type of problem has gone away with VS.Net 2005; I'm not sure.

Are there any manufacturer sponsored developer programs that are worth getting into? I know that HP had one and for something like $500 a year they'd let you have access to their pool of loaner PDAs for app testing. I seem to recall there was some assistance with marketing too but I might be wrong.

Lastly, is some new WM2005 PDA model coming down the pipe that I should wait for?

I should mention that for now my interest is just to develop something for myself to fool around with. Eventually, once I have something working, I’ll convince my business partner to let me commit the company to developing a full blown game.

Thanks for your time guys!
schmosef
pm Member

Return to GapiDraw

Forum Description

The Cross-platform Graphics SDK for Palms, Pocket PCs, Symbian Devices, and Stationary PCs.

Moderators:

sponge, Johan

Forum permissions