This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Skirmish Mode...

Postby RaGe » Feb 1, 2002 @ 7:47pm

RaGe

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 1, 2002 @ 10:29pm

Well... Rage i have good news for you, you can do that making custom maps. Just like starcraft, you can put as many enemy command centers as you want etc etc. So basically if that's all you want from skirmish mode then guess what, we kind of have skirmish mode already coded
:P
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Robby » Feb 1, 2002 @ 11:03pm

Why?
Robby
pm Member

Postby sponge » Feb 2, 2002 @ 5:37am

Skirmish mode wouldn't be as big of a trouble if you can (un)install missions as you wish. ie, once beating the game, you can get rid of the missions and just have skirmish. This will save the memory. With the RA2 comparision, I played Red Alert 2 with several brutal enemies, and with no slower than it would normally be, only in large battles. No matter how great the missions are, without a constant influx of missions, it won't last that long. Still looking forward to the game, maybe a little less than at first.

Of course the coding of the skirmish would still have to be done, but it's one step closer.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

yea!

Postby Nilisco » Feb 2, 2002 @ 3:22pm

Thanks carp,that was exactly what I wanted! Now we just need to make some mineral box maps like in starcraft...if this game uses minerals.
Nilisco
pm Member

Postby randall » Feb 4, 2002 @ 5:43am

Good god. Now that the dust has settled, I feel like I can safely pipe in.

I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed in Argentum, regardless of any features it does or doesn't have. Carpe/Fredrick/Lomax are all hardcore gamers just like the rest of us, so they are able to apply that first-hand knowledge.

We also have to realise that you can't possibly add EVERYTHING and make everyone happy at the same time. Ag has that happy medium where the majority of people will be very satisfied. Those are the people game designers aim for.

From now on, at least wait until you can make an informed opinion before blurting out suggestions. The fact that it is being released is a huge triumph over what we were hearing two months ago.
randall
pm Insider

Argentum saved me! hehe

Postby nuOpus » Feb 4, 2002 @ 10:30pm

I am currently contemplating getting a new PDA. I am a Unix instructor at a local College so I need BIGTIME scheduling demands from my PDA. I was ACTUALLY contemplating on going back to Palm platform (Have been using Casio E-125 MIPS PPC for a year now) with the new CLIE. Access to large amounts of scheduling information and contacts are faster with that platform (Not meant as a line to start a flame war, but I have used both for a long time, and for my needs ... that is what i've noticed).

HOWEVER, Palm sucks when it comes to games, (even the color ones) and the game Argentum (really the only game I would need) will make me get a Casio E-200! I don't care what other people think of this game, it will be one of the greatest. I will suggest it to all my students and fellow instructors that use PPC. And to the Palm toting ones (alot), I will convince them to purchase a PPC just to play Argentum!

Its easy to get around the problems people are complaining about if they provide a decent map editor. And, this was my other question ... its to Carp. Will the map editor be a separate app for the PC (windows or linux) that will make uploadable maps, or a native PPC app to make the maps. Either is fine. I have lots of time between exams! hehe
nuOpus
pm Member

Postby nuOpus » Feb 5, 2002 @ 12:35am

nuOpus
pm Member

Postby Robotbeat » Feb 7, 2002 @ 1:28am

What's so hard about a simple skirmish mode? A computer generated map would be harder to do than most RTS games, now that I think about it, though. Argentum doesn't use tiles, does it?

I still don't think it would be too hard. If you can do image editing and stuff on a Pocket PC, then you should be able to do random maps and stuff, even if it takes 1 minute to generate it. Really. We only need like one opponent to play against. If someone else feels like it, they could make a mod that allows more, but it doesn't seem all too necessary.

Also, you don't even necessarily need totally random maps.
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

500+ ehh, carpediem?!?

Postby VCR » Apr 29, 2002 @ 11:22am

VCR

Postby James S » Apr 30, 2002 @ 12:48am

James S
pm Insider

Cool 8)

Postby VCR » Apr 30, 2002 @ 9:48am

So it will be in the full version?

-VCR 8)