This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Demo Strats?

Demo Strats?

Postby HowlingBears » May 1, 2002 @ 12:09am

HowlingBears
pm Member

Postby superman » May 1, 2002 @ 12:35am

I just get three or four groups full of troops and send them into enemy territory, and when a group of enemy troops attacks, I use the group buttons to target one large enemy target at a time. That tends to get rid of them faster so you don't have as many kicking your butt at one time ( level 2 of the demo for instance ).

[edit] OOps,it appears that that isn't a very good strategy as the units will not move on to the next target automatically. So unless you intend to manage your group for the whole skirmish, I wouldn't suggest doing that.
Last edited by superman on May 1, 2002 @ 2:00am, edited 1 time in total.
superman
pm Member

Postby R0B » May 1, 2002 @ 12:48am

Here is my strat that I used for the last time I beat it. First, get a total of four turrets at the mouth of your base (you start with one). This will hold of the initial rushes the AI makes. Then, build a factory and build two groups of those walker things (I can't remember what they are called). Now, move them to the first part of the enemy base and have them destroy the two turrets guarding their entrence. Then have one group concintrate on the 2 buildings (I recomend the infintry one second) and the other group eliminating any opposition. Now, go back to your base and load the que up with 6 more walkers, and then return to where your guys are. Now, have your guys move into the middle part and take out those flying things. They really pack a lot of damage. If your ranks are weakened, send the 6 walkers you just made up to the front line, and que 6 more. Now take out the buildings in the part of the enemy base. This next part requires some firepower. There are 3 turrets guarding the final part of the enemy base. I would recomend no less than one full group of walkers. When you attack the turrets, make sure you have them attack one at a time. Once this is done, go into the final part of the base and destroy all of the buildings. I beat this level in 17 minutes the last time I played.
"1011001010 NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" -Bender
R0B
got muffins?

Postby HowlingBears » May 1, 2002 @ 2:30am

Wow, that's nowhere near as many units as I used, the first time. Hell, I used all of my resources, the first time. I think I had 106 argentum left when I first beat it...then again, I wasn't terribly agressive, so the computer probably built up more while I was twiddling my thumbs. Of course, I never used more than one group of walkers at a time, either. I'm loading 1.00 back on my machine so that I can actually play it again, and this time I'll go walker-crazy. 8)
HowlingBears
pm Member

Postby R0B » May 1, 2002 @ 2:34am

Yes, the first time, I built up huge defenses, but the computer never attacked (asside from a few early rushes), they just built up a huge army outside my base. I still beat them, but it took longer, and I had to build up a bigger army to wipe them out.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby gartogg708 » May 1, 2002 @ 7:42am

gartogg708
pm Member

Postby R0B » May 1, 2002 @ 10:03pm

R0B
got muffins?

Postby CARPEDIEM » May 1, 2002 @ 11:49pm

yeah you are right R0B, those preloaded units can be set to neutral, aggressive or defensive. In the first level you'll see the soldiers are set to defensive, in the second level those planes are set to neutral because i want them to guard the command center and don't stray away anywhere. But they should probably be a little higher on the map for more protection.
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby R0B » May 2, 2002 @ 2:17am

R0B
got muffins?

Postby Pam » May 3, 2002 @ 5:20pm

All the easy problems have been solved.
Pam
pm Insider

Postby HowlingBears » May 3, 2002 @ 6:21pm

More turrets, laid out in a sort of funnel-fashion, like a roach motel. You want them to come all the way in and get themselves surrounded, before they grind to a halt. But make sure you don't block off your exit, in the process. :)

Personally, I like to make sure that I've got at least 6 ITBAs mining different patches of argentum, if I can help it. I'm also a big fan of multiple barracks and factories.

Also, stick to heavy marines and walkers as your favorite troops on this level. Basic marines seem fairly worthless, an as I understand it, Tanks are mostly there as linebackers, to soak damage.

Oh, and you might make a point of saving at points, using all the slots, when you feel that you're doing good, so that you don't get frustrated having to rebuild your base a dozen times just to get back to that point where you should have done something different.
HowlingBears
pm Member

Postby ivorte » May 3, 2002 @ 6:22pm

Hey Pam

More ITBAs - have at least 8 getting argentum from the start - keep increasing to about 12

Then keep your base compact, with lots of power

a couple of turrets close in and lots of rocket lauchers. That should repel any attacks

I generally don't rush to get radar untill I am ready to move out since this sinks power.

when you have a large force assembled and have repelled the attack, move out.

I use a number of grouped units and have them leap frog each other to gain ground. Once you have targeted the ground you want them to move to, return back to your base to build more units.

Having the gouped units leap frog each other means that if the enemy destroys all your units then they can not march straight into your base since there will be another unit behind the first (albe it a depleted one. This will buy you time for your new units to be manufactured.

Hope it helps
ivorte
pm Member

Postby sponge » May 3, 2002 @ 8:27pm

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby R0B » May 3, 2002 @ 10:03pm

R0B
got muffins?

Postby Pam » May 3, 2002 @ 10:12pm