This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

$

Re: $

Postby CARPEDIEM » May 19, 2001 @ 8:41pm

Well, the fact is that very very few people use 100% original software, i think the only guy i know that doesn't have illegal software is Fredrik.<br>If you make a quality product, Illegal distribution of it is unavoidable, so the problem comes down to how to make that pirate distribution as low as possible, and don't disrespect your customers in the process.<br>This is what i think is happening with microsoft nowadays, take Windows XP for example, they are going to check your hardware and say: "Ok, this is your PC and windows XP only works on a single pc". If you ever upgrade your machine more than 30% you are going to have to buy a new Windows XP because you have a new PC, and i don't care if it's just an updated PC.<br>I mean, are these guys kidding me?, or are they just plain old "a la americana" high?.<br>I mean, anyone that knows me know that i love microsoft, but this has really annoyed me and i know that the first thing people are going to do once Windows XP comes out is to wait for the cracked warez version to come out. They are treating honest customers as thieves.<br>Just my opinion.<br><br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 05/19/01 at 17:41:37
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 19, 2001 @ 8:45pm

Bill Gates can get anally raped by a goat for all I care. He's not even that smart. He makes a text based OS, biggy. And it didn't even work well, it was just easy. Then he hired people to make him more money.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » May 19, 2001 @ 8:50pm

Unfortunately, there isn't anything that the developer can do to prevent their project from becoming Warez. The most the developer can hope for is to slow down the process. If it doesn't show up on Warez for 3 weeks, then that is 3 weeks that the developer maintains exlusive control and gets the largest return on profit.<br><br>The concept of Warez isn't necessarily as evil as everyone makes it out to be. It is, however, severely abused by people who have a "free software" mentality. For some people, it just becomes a habit. They collect a thousand Warez titles but can't possibly use it all. No it isn't right, and it isn't fair to the developer.<br><br>id Software offers HUGE demos, giving a large scope of what the game is all about. Multiplayer, a large arsenal of weaponry, several levels, lots of opponents... There aren't any pulled punches or disabled features.<br><br>The demos could be an entire game by themselves and many people treat it as such. So id Software never sees a dime from those people.<br><br>But the REGISTERED users get even MORE. Not more of the same, but entirely new weapons, levels and opponents. PLUS the added ability to run MODS.
randall
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » May 19, 2001 @ 8:59pm

Haha moose :)<br><br>By the way, Bill Gates didn't make DOS, some smart dude made it and he bought it from him and made some modifications to it with his buddy from apple. Then they sold it to IBM and he got very rich. He is a great business man and i don't doubt he is a good programmer too... But it's just that i think they have crossed the line this time. I mean, how rich do you want to be billy?. Weren't you going to donate your fortune once you die?, if so.... then what do you care if you get 100000 millions more or less?. You are not going to live to spend it all!. Just give consumers a break for once in a while, not everyone is as rich as you are and some people just can't afford a $300 piece of software!!.<br><br><br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » May 19, 2001 @ 9:30pm

Aren't we a little bit of topic now?<br><br>Anyways, the idea of having a random regcode in the game when compiled is ok except for one thing...how do you make the website compile the code before you download it. I mean otherwise you will always have the same regcode in it. Ok...one sollution could be to updated the online version once every day or so, but what if they buy one copy and put it up on a warez site with the reg-code? Then we could have skipped the entire regcode thingie. I don't think registration codes is the way to make it harder on the warez guys.<br><br>There must be some other way.
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Malmer » May 19, 2001 @ 9:38pm

Our demo version will probably be designed so that you can play it for a while but you then want more. I don't like the 45 seconds turjah approach. Gives you no big idea if the game is fun or not. <br><br>We will probably have two missions or so...but we'll see...<br><br>Most CE people don't warez, because they don't know where to look. So how about closing down this thread before the whole earth knows where...Power to the developers...!<br><br>// Fredrik<br><br>PS. I hope you all guys will buy the game...*smile* DS.
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Diego Cueva » May 19, 2001 @ 10:21pm

I dont have any PPC warez. PPC warez are bad. I would feel like robbing from my friends. :) I mean, we are a small community, and I know that PPC software doesnt make lots of money...<br><br>
--------------------------

Last modification: Diego Cueva - 04/31/03 at 17:32:04
I´m currently listening to my PC´s fan
SMRF founder
Peace
Diego Cueva
pm Insider

Postby Diego Cueva » May 19, 2001 @ 10:22pm

BTW, I think $20 is a good price. But I would pay more for a really good game...
--------------------------

Last modification: Diego Cueva - 04/31/03 at 17:32:04
I´m currently listening to my PC´s fan
SMRF founder
Peace
Diego Cueva
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » May 20, 2001 @ 1:36am

Here is a good solution:<br><br>When the bought game is first launched, it gives you a code (the serial number of the pocket pc or something that is unique to that machine). They go to the site, enter their serial number, and they get an unlock code (which is generated by doing some math with the unique machine code).<br><br>That would work perfectly, except if the user had more than one pocket pc, or sent their pocket pc in for repair and got a different one back.. In that case they could send out an email, or fill out a form at the argentum website...<br><br>Sound good?..
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby suchiaruzu » May 20, 2001 @ 7:46am

Now, that's a good idea! But it sounds difficult...
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » May 20, 2001 @ 8:53am

I dont have any warez. I am developer friendly! <br><br>One thing you could do is donate a certain percent of the price to the American Cancer Society, we dont ccare if the price goes up, then, since most people know at least one person with cancr, they will be guilted into buying it.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 9:34am

Chris, if they got a refurbished PPC a la iCrap then they could just send in their old unlock code with their serial and Fred could verify that they actually bought it. But doing it that way would make it EXTREMELY easy to crack. All someone would need is two serials and unlock codes to find the formula that was used. I'm betting a crack would be available in a couple days with that setup. But someone will always find a way to warez stuff they really want. It will be a big problem, especially for you guys, since you're not a huge team working off a big company that is already paid. Some people are just plain bad.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 9:40am

Or you could just make it like Quake, where you can't modify the game, make new maps, etc. if you don't buy it. That PLUS the two mission limit thing.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 4:19pm

there are no 'pocket pc warez sites' so to speak, sure thers cewarez.com but you won't find any downloads there. Pdazone is slackin off lately on there release times. ANd ICE is dead far as i know. Now it's pretty much just independent people releasing stuff, like i did for the pak1.pak file.... But no i don't think it would be possible for me to keep it off the channel. I'm not aop or anything i just serve. So i get +v nothin more... sorry guys.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 4:25pm

k if you wanted to make it very hard to crack, i'd make it so every time you install it, it would connect to the interent annd check to see if the user paid, if by serial or some weird thing u make up it'll work. Look at Half-Life and Tribes 2 i can't play them online because i dont' have a valid cd-key and no the cracks for it do not work.
Moose or Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions