This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

$

Re: $

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 4:26pm

and no i really can't afford any games or anything, how'd i get my ppc. I got my granddad to buy it for me. I have a job, but i need to spend that money on a new bodyboard, then a microdrive.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » May 20, 2001 @ 4:27pm

bodyboard? hahaha~
Paul
pm Insider

Postby 999 » May 20, 2001 @ 4:28pm

I'm not a warez supporter, infact, I monitor the warez scene for authors like Aaron of PocketGB fame. If you have noticed, there is only one crack available for PocketGB, and it's for version 1.25. After I sent that cracked version to Aaron, he figured out how to counter it, and has made the neccassary changes with each released revision to make sure his program isn't cracked in the same manner again. <br><br>On the subject of spyware, I don't think you understand what it fully implies. For PC, it pings the developer's server every time you play, this obviously can't be done for PPC. What can be done for PPC however, is to ping the developer when you are installing the game via your PC or laptop. This ping, could be an email, which would gather the user info and owner info from the PPC or PC and send it to you or carp. A simple excel page can then go through the submissions and cross check them with a database of paid users. If a user who is playing your game is not in the database of paid users, they are automagically sent an email requesting they pay for the game, delete it, or risk legal action. <br><br>Yea, it does suck, but honestly, how much is the time you've spent on this worth to you? If your time is precious, as is mine, I'd do anything and everything to prevent this game from being "warezed"...<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 4:33pm

that'd probably get pdazone to leave you alone, they are not good crackers at all. IF they were better they'd do better things like PC and stuff. PDAzone is full of sh*t i think and i hate the room mostly, i just go when i want somethin new. I haven't run a bot in a few months, and i never ran bots it was always ftp.  I mean check pdazones site it hasn't been updated since january. they suck.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 4:33pm

and yes i bodyboard, and i rip, i'm probably gonna get sponsered this summer beotch
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 20, 2001 @ 5:04pm

and o ya, pocketGB may be good, but emulators should be free. Thats a crock of crap having to pay for something that by itself does nothing. Sure if he gave u roms oor somethin but i find tthat whole thing to be bull. If i could i'd crack his prog just to spite him
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » May 20, 2001 @ 5:58pm

Chuck, you're paying for as perfect an emulator as you can get with PocketGB. I wish all emulators cost money, that way we wouldn't have to worry about their authors escaping to the great void like Richard Rice of PocketNES. Or have to get stuck with emulators that do nothing more than tantalize users with startup screens and slow emulation, and then never get updated again. Sound familliar? That makes up most the Emus out there, sure they rock, but only to a certain extent, and they always leave us wanting that next update even more. <br><br>I registered my PocketGB the day it was released because it's a really solid emu, and thus far has the most features of any available emu. <br><br>The new SMS/GG addon module really smokes too. Runs damn near perfect on his first try, it totally kills CE/gg. <br><br>Having said all that, it's made me realize we really should be Thanking Dan more often for his commitment to PQ. It's really been outstanding, and he quite honestly should be paid for all his effort. I'm not sure if PQ qualifies as emulation, but whatever the case, it's perhaps the most recognized PPC title out there, and most openly supported title, even surpassing the collective efforts of the great MAMECE.<br><br>
pm Member

ping!

Postby jOEY! » May 20, 2001 @ 7:29pm

pinging might not work.  A good cracker can get past that.  What about the people with limited internet access?  People who use firewalls like Zonealarm can block that signal to the internet.
jOEY!

Postby 999 » May 20, 2001 @ 8:26pm

Joey:<br>I would suppose it works with activesync, and would be just like sending an email through outlook.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 20, 2001 @ 9:02pm

Well, there are a couple of things to consider. First off, it is impossible to create software that is totally secure. Attempts have been made for decades to come up with (non hardware) techniques to prevent piracy. Over a decade ago in the Amiga arena a pretty intense battle was waged by software companies trying to prevent hackers from cracking their software. They even went so far as to create their own low-level technique for writing data onto floppy disks, so that disks could not be copied or even recognized as formatted. As advanced as these techniques were they were still circumvented. So the idea is to have a degree of protection that prevents the casual copying of software by users / power users, while not creating a situation that would present a challenge, or trophy, to a hacker. They, like virus writers, are usually looking for publicity and fame more than anything. It would not be cool to create a public challenge type scenario that would draw hackers into the Pocket PC world. The easiest solution is to modify or replace the security system with each new version released. Of course the problem is that a new version would have to have something of considerable value or improvement over the previous releases, or else everyone could just be happy with an older, previously hacked version.<br><br>A particular method comes to mind that may be useful for Argentum. The idea would be to include executable code (probably a DLL) for each level pak. The code would be responsible for decrypting the level content (or only critical pieces of it). Of course before the data was decrypted certain authorization would occur, such as the validity of the unlock code, etc. Then you would "license" 3rd party levels, by providing them with a DLL (and accompanying Big-Windows application to encrypt their levels with their key). As time goes on the license DLLs would contain more and more bad (hacked) registration keys. The goal would be to require the hackers to crack the game itself, plus every single level produced and distributed by third parties, for every version released. The effectiveness could be furthered by releasing the official levels in a graduated fashion over time (actually as you finish them), say 2 weeks apart. Keep in mind that each Pocket PC has a unique ID, so the registration key could be based on that ID. That would prevent the casual sharing of registration keys, and require hacking the exe (and each level's dll) to get the game to work on other devices.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 21, 2001 @ 7:18am

That sounds like a worthy trophy to crack for...
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » May 21, 2001 @ 9:54am

Trophies. Every level would have to be individually cracked, for each supported type of device. They could divide the official levels into several pieces, each requiring a small DLL to decrypt that specific level / component.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 21, 2001 @ 12:22pm

Ya but for emu's its bull. Its so retarded paying for SOFTWARE that doesn't do anything without 'paying' for more software. Sorry but i can understand buying the orginal but not paying for a cheap emu. And Yes dan should be paid. and i think Ce/GG is good enough, and he's already released another beta. So he's obviously ready to work on it. It runs at full speed on Mortal Kombat 2 and 1. It just has some grafix glitches on some games. U know what, u get what you pay for.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Chris Edwards » May 21, 2001 @ 2:56pm

Chuck.. You don't get what you pay for. <br><br>Look at Windows.. Hmm, it's gonna be like $300 for Windows XP (full, not upgrade). Now, look at Linux (I use Linux Mandrake). It's free, and kicks window's butt in stability, speed and many other aspects. I install Windows, I need to go buy Adobe Photoshop, etc... Photoshop is very expensive.. Whereas in Linux, I just install the GIMP. <br><br>You also say that all emu's should be free.. hmm. what kind of insentive does that give developers to develop good emulators? None, unless they want the fame. I think free software has become too much of a "demand". I understand that most of us are broke students, but so are most of the people developing the software. If you can't afford it, than get a better job :).. <br><br>Chuck... i'm ready to hear your flame :).
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 21, 2001 @ 3:27pm

Chuck's a flaming flamer.
Moose or Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description