This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

$

Re: $

Postby 999 » May 21, 2001 @ 4:08pm

Chuck, think of it this way, would you pay 20 bux for a gatekey which leads to over 400 playable games?<br><br>Or, get a free one which plays about 25 if you're lucky.<br><br>BTW, if a game doesn't run on PocketGB, Aaron is always quick to make it work if you just ask him.<br><br>As far as CE/gg, do yourself a flavor, and try out Aaron's version.<br><br>===<br><br>I have to agree with Chris, we've all got this mentality that all CE software should be free. It's like the defacto question any time a new piece of software is announced.<br><br>Personally, I'd prolly release a freeware title just to nix any chance for someone to crack it and lay claim to the fruits of my labor.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » May 21, 2001 @ 6:03pm

But that doesnt help the developers. I like my cancer donation idea better.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Digby » May 21, 2001 @ 6:55pm

Why not try an alternate revenue generation model?  What if you went and sold advertising space for in-game billboards and such, then just gave the game away for free?  You'd probably need a way to update the ads (maybe with new mission levels downloads?) so that you can show increasing download numbers to perspective clients.  Does anyone know if this has been tried for PC games?  Throw in a Coke machine or something to get something from Coca-cola?<br><br>I tell you what would get your game on CNN, just put Marlboro cigarette ads throughout your game and watch what happens.  Oh man, that's just asking for trouble (and free Press!).<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 21, 2001 @ 7:02pm

I downloaded a Solitaire game for free, called FreeSolitaire. It had over 20 top notch Solitaire games, but it was free because of an advertisement at the top of every game window. I never clicked on one, but that's how that developer got money (if anyone actually did click on any).
Moose or Chuck

Postby Fuchal » May 21, 2001 @ 7:41pm

There was a good feature in Game Developer magazine about implimenting good crack protection...  :)
Fuchal
Fuchal
pm Member

Postby randall » May 21, 2001 @ 8:01pm

The last thing I want to see is advertising of any kind. Besides, it wastes valuable screen space on an already small PPC display.<br><br>Alot of fancy crap isn't needed to generate revenue- just moderate marketing. If the game is good, people will buy it. Even if it is available as Warez.<br><br>You can add all the protection schemes and revenue generating hoopla you want. But nothing will make you more money than building a rock-solid game in the first place.<br><br>Games like Half-life didn't sell millions of copies because it had powerful copy protection to prevent it from appearing on Warez. They sold millions of copies because it was the most baddass thing we had ever seen.<br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Digby » May 21, 2001 @ 8:04pm

The article in Game Developer Magazine came out in the May 2001 issue, titled "Keeping Pirates at Bay: Implementing Crack Protection for Spyro: Year of the Dragon".  If you hurry you might find a copy still on the newsstands.  I received the June issue last week.<br><br>You can order the issue .<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby randall » May 21, 2001 @ 8:04pm

Yeah, I think that [crack protection] article appeared in Game Developer a couple months ago. It may be at their Gamasutra site (www.gamasutra.com).<br><br>Last modification: randall - 05/21/01 at 17:04:09
randall
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » May 21, 2001 @ 8:18pm

So what, at first i had no intention in selling the game, so i won't get obsessed about money or anything, there won't be a crack protection or anything of the kind. You can't fight piracy.<br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 21, 2001 @ 9:03pm

don't worry i'll buy ur game, i just steal from the rich now, hehehe dreamcast games. hahahahh segas real rich hahahahahah. hahahahhaa. But no i haven't downloaded any cracks in awhile i'm over the whole warez scene, the people on there are just big dicks. they think there so high and feckin mighty because they're op  of  a room that no one on earth knows about, and .3% of the actual populations gets. cause there is about nobody that actually downloads that waarez, i mean how many of the peopl that own a ppc know about warez. 1 maybe 2 percent. the rest live there happy lives out paying for what they want, just like my dad, he paid  for all his gay palm games.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » May 22, 2001 @ 3:42pm

Fredrik seems intent on a gold mine~
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby suchiaruzu » May 22, 2001 @ 4:02pm

Chuck,<br>yeah, but how many of the remaining people are using their pocketpc for plaing games?
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » May 22, 2001 @ 4:10pm

well, you're garunteed $20 from me.
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 22, 2001 @ 4:32pm

I have an idea. Why not give away a couple missions in a demo version. Then, when someone wants to buy it you send them through a donation link, like pay pal, in which they can decide how much they think the game is worth. When they type in 50 cents and press submit, they get the game. You could even use a feedback form to acquire information such as why they think it's only worth 50 cents, or why they are willing to pay 20 dollars for it.
Moose or Chuck

Postby suchiaruzu » May 22, 2001 @ 4:33pm

From me, too! You guys are okay - you deserve the money ;)<br>I hope more people think so, either, so Carpe can get his Microdrive
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

PreviousNext

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions