This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Programmer needed

Re: Programmer needed

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 11:51am

gzip is open sourced, i'm sure you could use that :/
Moose or Chuck

Postby Malmer » Jun 12, 2001 @ 11:56am

Well that would mean the PQ problem where it has to decompress the complete file to get a file in the end of it all. And since the files will get a bit big that would mean slow performance...
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 12:23pm

talk to the PHexen guy. He obviously figured out a way to do it. I think Dan has also found out how to do it too.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Digby » Jun 12, 2001 @ 12:32pm

You would still need code to run on the Pocket PC to retrieve the bits from the PAK file.  It seems like whomever writes the PC compressor should also provide decompression routines that your team could port to the target platforms.<br><br>I'd love to help you guys out but I'm under the gun at work trying to reach a code milestone.  If you send the spec to me (boliverk@hotmail.com), I'll be happy to review it and send you my comments.<br><br>BTW, in your signature the word 'prison' is spelled incorrectly.<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jun 12, 2001 @ 12:37pm

Well my format is very simple, and designed so that I could write a CE reader for it with no problem. The issue is that I don't have any tools to write a Desktop PC app to create the file. And I really have a lot of work in the game to do so writing a util for creation of the libs I don't have time for.<br><br>// Fredrik
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jun 12, 2001 @ 1:48pm

Oh, I should probably say that the app will probably also be used by a majority of the Argentum modding community.
Malmer
pm Member

Postby 999 » Jun 12, 2001 @ 2:45pm

Yea, didn't that guy index his gzip files?<br><br>Gzip is truly awesome, the compression ratios are ideal for PPC storage limitations. I'm running Quake on a naked iPAQ for cripes sake, I doubt anyone would have believed that a year ago ;)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 2:53pm

well cripe :)
Moose or Chuck

Postby Malmer » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:07pm

With the library I have intended it won't be a problem to add gzip support without modifying the library creator. If any one of you are remotely interested in creating the util please IM me and I'll send you the specs.<br><br>// Fredrik
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:08pm

If you don't have ICQ you can drop me an e-mail.
Malmer
pm Member

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:31pm

We also need a map editor, this is quite a simple task really, it can be done by any of you guys learning visual basic or know a little bit of MFC.<br><br>We need an app such as that to make maps, kind of like starcraft's map editor, but much much simpler.<br>All that is needed is to load a bitmap, then have a menu bar where you select which unit you want to place on the map. And when you place them all a simple script is written to a file.<br>Really easy stuff but i have no time for it since my hands are full with exams and Argentum.<br>Anyways, all we can offer for anyone who wants to do it is to be able to ask for a beta version anytime he wants, so he can check out the game and stuff, credit for his work on the game, plus of course a free copy of the game.<br><br>I'll eventually end up doing this app so if anyone is interested the time is now.<br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:39pm

i can send source to a simple picture viewer i've already made, that way all they have to do is write the script they want... O yya this is for VB.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:41pm

actually schools out for me, i most likely could write all of this. Let me know the details of what this entails send me an email at sponger@bellatlantic.net
Moose or Chuck

Postby Malmer » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:46pm

Guess you're talking about the map-editor, right?<br><br>Writing e-mail...<br><br>// Fredrik
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 3:49pm

ya, i already know exactly how to paste the map, EASy but then i guess i'll need to use bitblt to paste the pics on top ya Know. SHould be pretty easy, after tomorow, when i  get home i'll be done with school completely and i can get down to thinking about exactly how i'll paste the pics. It doesn't have to be incredibly fast right, cause bitblt is slow, but i don't wanna go through direct x, thats a crap load of work for a map editor.
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions