This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Invasion vs. Argentum

Invasion vs. Argentum

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 6, 2001 @ 4:56am

Ok, anyone tried this one out yet? (Invasion: The Grey Day as seen on Pocketgamer.org and at their homepage )<br><br>Well, I played it. I was impressed by how smooth it ran, how they did the Starcraft style Fog-of-War, the mp3 music and the grouping by boxing and # assignment. I was also impressed by the confirmation sound upon selecting a unit. <br><br>But that was about all I was impressed by. i'm sure Argentum goes above and beyond this. It's just I haven't played Argentum and Invasion i've tried.<br><br>What else sucks? When you give the order to move or attack, there was no confirmation sound there. The map scrolling was difficult to manage. Sure, you could instantly go somewhere by clicking on the mini-map/radar. But I like to scroll the screen. And moving the stylus to the VERY edge of the screen and wait forever for the screen to move...just wasnt my cup of tea. <br><br>The graphics were not all that great. They were about par I would say. Not that I could do better, but if you are going to make your units and buildings look pre-rendered, then why dont u prerender your terrain and GUI at least too. Really...the buildings didnt look all that bad (nowhere as good as Argentum) but compare that to the interface at the bottom of the screen...its like 1/2 Poccer and 1/2 Commando.  Honestly I think they coulda did a little less GREEN and Camoflauge.<br><br>The music got annoying after a while b/c it was the same damn song over and over again. It never changed tracks. Until you win.<br><br>Overall, i got bored after the 2nd mission and quit and uninstalled it. I await Argentum as a real eyepopper and not just something to showoff as an RTS on my PocketPC.<br><br>Thats my $0.02. And then some.<br>
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Re: Invasion vs. Argentum

Postby Paul » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:04am

Paul
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:10am

jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby John Lomax » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:15am

John Lomax
pm Member

Postby Paul » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:18am

Paul
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:21am

randall
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:21am

jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Paul » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:24am

Paul
pm Insider

Postby John Lomax » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:24am

John Lomax
pm Member

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:27am

John, personally, I liked your graphics better. <br>And JayBot's music better. There's no competition, and yes..at that price of $29.95 i agree. No way.<br>:) (Notice no tildes)<br>Last modification: JongJungBu - 07/06/01 at 02:27:13
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby randall » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:29am

Christ, they're all over the internet. There are at least 4 regulars on this forum alone with varying artistic talents. Any one of those 4 could have created better graphics.<br><br>I could probably find about 100 valid candidates in a weeks time. After sorting through 2000 worthless leads.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:32am

yeah thats about £20 here... i dont think anyones going to buy that game, especially now every person to visit pocketgamer has seen argentum
Paul
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:35am

And anyone that bothers to actually try the demo out, like me, will realize...that even if there was no Argentum...it still kinda sux. unless yer just really bored and have no other good games (no PQ, no ChiRaKs, no DopeWars, no Poccer).
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby randall » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:37am

Wait, I recall seeing an estimated price of $19.95 for Argentum. That's ten bux less than invasion.<br><br>I doubt we'll be seeing another RTS with Lomax's calibre of graphics. Not for a LONG time.<br><br>I think John is right- they saw Argentum and rushed their project just so they could be "first".
randall
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:37am

you know, i dont think they did rush it. its just shit, theres no excuse
Paul
pm Insider

Next

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title