This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

experience?

experience?

Postby RwGast » Jul 10, 2001 @ 5:03pm

Im just curious how long you have been programming for, Carp, you are the programmer rite? Also i was wondering how long this project has been going on for ive only been folling for a month and half maybe. Im just curious becuase i read a post that said you have only been programming for a few months and I just thought you and your team must be pretty fast learners to make a game this damn good. I think if you ported this to a pc and maybe did it in d3d it would sell in stores, it is pretty awesome looking especially with the limited recources a pocketpc has to offer. You guys are doing a great job keep up the good work. :)
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Re: experience?

Postby Malmer » Jul 10, 2001 @ 5:17pm

Even though your post was intended for Carpe I'll answer it from my point of view...<br><br>I've been coding C++ since the beginning of the year, now some people would probably say that then I must be a really lousy programmer. Now, I didn't say I started programming then. Just said I started programming C++ then. I have a pretty deep programming experience raging back to the days of GWBasic for DOS (man that was bad...).<br><br>As for Argentum we've been working on it since somewhere in the mid/late April. Which makes it not very old. Efficient development. Aka. late nights.<br><br>As for beeing fast learners. As for me I would say, if I may, that I am a pretty fast learner. But a lot comes from the passion of just wanting the learn how to do new things.<br><br>Fredrik.<br>
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby randall » Jul 10, 2001 @ 5:23pm

and doing them well :)
randall
pm Insider

Postby RwGast » Jul 10, 2001 @ 5:30pm

Well the reason i said you must be fast learners is becuase i have been programming for 5 years now in various scripts like javascript, bash shell scripting, etc, and originally i used Qbasic. But now i use vb it's my job, i develop solutions using sql and vb, im only 17. And right now im learning c++ i have known c for around a year but never really used it except to experiment and to make some dll's for vb, o and make some really cheeze ball q2 and q3 mods, but with all this experience i dont think i would ever be able to make somthing as kick ass as what you guys are doing, well at least not without maybe 3 or 4 years of c++ under my belt.
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jul 10, 2001 @ 6:03pm

actually we really don't know anything about coding. We have a bot doing all the work for us. Don't tell anyone, but we really ment to create a soccer game but something went wrong<br><br>(And now when we all have Poccer, who needs an other soccer game?)<br><br>oh and a word. JScript is my favourite language. Honestly, it is...so simple...but yet you can do the coolest things in it if you know how.
Malmer
pm Member

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jul 10, 2001 @ 6:24pm

Robert Gast:<br><br>Well, i've been coding since i was about 15 years old (i am 20 now), i started making scripts for the Mirc chat client :o) then moved To Visual Basic and learned about TCP/IP, took a quick look at Delphi and about a year ago i started learning to code in C in college.<br>Then about 5 months later i bought a 500 page C++ book that i devoured in less than a week, (C++ ROX BABY), i also bought a book about MFC, i learned the basics and stopped reading it.<br>At This point i coded in Linux (or Leenox as i like to call it), all command prompt programs.<br>Then i ventured myself into GAPI, i heavily modified the starfield simulation source code and came up with a program called GAPI Benchmark.<br>Writting this program made me get to know Jacco Bikker, a kick ass programmer.<br><br>Then just for the heck of it i offered myself to make a Mips Build of PocketQuake, and Dan East assisted me through the Visual C++ Project Configuration, because i really didn't know how to use it. And when it compiled, i modified the blitting routines and that's it. PocketQuake for Casio.<br><br>I remained with PocketQuake for some time and in that period i got used to Visual C++, and after i got tired of people criticizing me i left PocketQuake for good.<br>A month after leaving PocketQuake (only less than 3 months ago), i started working on an RTS game engine, 5 days later i had things to show, so i posted Screenshots and people got Interested.<br>And well, Fredrik and his amazing Maps convinced me to team up with him with this game.<br>And things just got better and better... then John Lomax joins and that's it, The Argentum team was formed.<br>How's that?<br>looks pretty impossible right?, well, i think so too... especially since i wanted to make videogames ever since i was a boy, and that is WAY impossible in Argentina.<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 07/10/01 at 15:24:07
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby suchiaruzu » Jul 10, 2001 @ 6:33pm

You're forgetting Jaybot, the Master of Sound...
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jul 10, 2001 @ 6:37pm

Yes!! of course.<br>Jaybot!, what a dull game it would be if it weren't for music!<br>:)<br><br>Also let's don't forget about that Kick ass programmer who made an amazing Map editor for us.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby suchiaruzu » Jul 10, 2001 @ 6:39pm

And forget poor old Shapeshifter who joined you but was 'fired' then because Mr. Fredrik Malmer didn't want him to do any maps so he started his own supercool 3D-Actiongame with Blackjack and hookers!<br>Nah, forget about the game and the Blackjack...
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jul 10, 2001 @ 7:09pm

Hey you weren't fired...we just found that terragen landscapes looked cool in terragen but not in Argentum. And really we haven't started designing maps that will be used for the final game. Right now we have test maps.
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jul 10, 2001 @ 7:10pm

And let us not forget Wiro who made the nice little fighter and marine...
Malmer
pm Member

Postby suchiaruzu » Jul 10, 2001 @ 7:20pm

Do you really think I was going to do every single map in Terragen?!? Nah, I would have done them with my very own hands and...<br>Let's stop being angry with each other, that's ridiculous, your maps are fine
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jul 10, 2001 @ 7:40pm

Angry? Hm...did I sound angry?<br><br>Anyways...don't forget that you can do loads of maps for the game yourself. And the variation is quite big. We're really looking forward to see what kind of maps you guys make...just think about it...you can build your HQ on the top of Mooses's nose (provided that you know how he looks and build a heightmap that looks like him)<br><br>Last modification: Fredrik Malmer - 07/10/01 at 16:40:43
Malmer
pm Member

Postby suchiaruzu » Jul 10, 2001 @ 7:41pm

Maybe in distant future, but I've got lots and lots of things to do with the hook - uhm, with the other games...
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jul 10, 2001 @ 7:57pm

I'm looking forward to creating my own worlds with the Argentum engine. I'd like to see how far I can stretch it- I'm hoping it is as flexible as possible, cuz I'm going to need elasticity like a frickin' rubberband to do what's on my mind.
randall
pm Insider

Next

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions