This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

where can i pay now? so i'll have it first!

Re: where can i pay now? so i'll have it first!

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:26pm

Ya, sure, it's the atomic symbol for Silver, whatever.<br><br>If you're so intelligent, why not enlighten us with your views, darrell.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Jul 23, 2001 @ 5:52pm

this is getting interesting...
Paul
pm Insider

Postby RICoder » Jul 23, 2001 @ 6:55pm

While I still have 2 cents to contribute, before it is all taken away by garage-hack-punks-who-think-software-should-be-free-because-their-parents-won't-give-them-an-allowance-raise,.....<br><br>Warez, as Dan and Moose have stated, is stealing, plain and simple.  Where it started and why is all very interesting historical-geekorama-information, but what it is, is stealing.<br><br>You see it all goes back to the Mac and OpenSource.  Some people will fight the power for haha's, some for core-values, but most because it makes them feel good to be different.  So, you end up with script-kitties running around saying "fight the power...everyhting open-source now!" but having no vested interest in anything of value and therefor no understanding of the underlying ramifications of there actions.  This, and this alone, is why there is warez, Macs, Linux, and Open Source.  Oh, yeah, you hear the hype about the unified-theory OS, where everyone is doing it the same and all information is shared, but really it won't happen.  Why?  Because as soon as anyone gets big enough to pull it off, some kid in a t-shirt in his mom's garage, will spend all-day, every-day, slamming that company and calling them evil, with no evidence, just to be cool to his dorky friends.  Since said wanker has no job, they have all the time in the world to do this and no one can fight back, because then they are accused of being an ogre picking on some snot-nose.<br><br>Hate Bill G. if ya want to.  Hate Sun and Oracle and AOL too, 'cause soon enough you'll have to.  But at least call it what it is and don't feign knowledge of the business world by saying they are theives and brigands.  And certainly support warez if you want to as well.  But don't say it is for the betterment of society, and at least pay for some stuff some times, or else eventually guys like Fredrik won't exist, because they'll have to get jobs elsewher where people pay for their hard work.  And won't that suck?  No Argentum for PPC, no DirectX games, no 3D accelerators (which only exist BECAUSE of DirectX...oh please someone challenge that!).<br><br>Hmmph...where did that rant come from?
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 6:58pm

Yep... that's what I was thinking.
Moose or Chuck

Postby sickman2o0o » Jul 23, 2001 @ 8:21pm

..starwars MOD for argentum or HL(if there is one)?
sickman2o0o
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 8:45pm

What is this forum about, sickman? There's your answer.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 24, 2001 @ 1:00am

well well. i don't do warez anymore. because i'm a 'reviewerr' i get my stuff 'legally now' :) ahh perks galore.
Moose or Chuck

Re: looks like the cat is out of the bag

Postby Shervin Pishevar » Jul 26, 2001 @ 3:50pm

As one of the founders of ionside i have been toying with the idea of turning the ppc into the ps2 of handheld gaming. This would happen through publishing our game on the memory cards. If there is support out there for doing this please email me and tell me exactly how we can do this and whether you would be interested in buying our first title, Argentum, just on a memory card. What would the price be for this that the users will support. Remember we have to cover the cost of the memory card and support our personal costs to keep developing games.
Shervin Pishevar

Postby Paul » Jul 26, 2001 @ 3:56pm

we've talked about this a lot in this very thread, if you want to look back. presonally i think its great but what with ppc's having memory on-board i'd just copy the stuff over. <br><br>after all, we buy games on cd but a lot of people try to get cracks andstuff to play the games straight from their pc's.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby John Lomax » Jul 26, 2001 @ 5:33pm

Personally I wouldnt like the game on a memory card. I have plenty of space on my flash card now, so like paul I would just copy it over. Also it would be a pain to have to insert and remove the compact flash card when you want to play argentum and then use some of your apps.<br><br>The compact flash slots are a bit of a pain to deal with anyway. Gameboys dont have slot covers to protect the cards etc. They are designed to be able to pull out carts all the time. Pocketpc's arent at the moment. <br><br>For me, the pocketpc is a great gaming platform, but rather than putting games on cards like gameboys etc,we should concentrate on getting the big o.e.ms to put better gaming pads on their devices etc. When they play argentum they hopefully will realise people want to use a pda for something other than word. :)<br> <br>Johnny
John Lomax
pm Member

Postby suchiaruzu » Jul 26, 2001 @ 5:39pm

It's a pain to work with PocketWord if you don't have da hard keyboard...
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 26, 2001 @ 5:40pm

You can buy small 6 MB CF cards wholesale for much less than a dollar a megabyte, depending on the quantity. So raising the price by maybe 5 dollars to accomodate this wouldn't be much of a problem.<br><br>I don't see a problem with pulling the card in and out. And for people that actually do use the device for lots of PIMming functions it would be a very nice thing for them to not have to waste the 6 precious MBs on their actual device. Plus the card could be used to keep the save games on. This would mean absolutely NO install space needed at any time for the game, which I believe would be a huge selling point.<br><br>Me, I have a MicroDrive, so I wouldn't need the seperate card, because I install all of my games on the MicroDrive. But if developers actually did make the PPCs compete with a GameBoy, not only would PPCs become mass market, but stores would start to carry the games on CF cards. This would bring a HUGE new audience to the PPC realm along with putting the developer's game in a new light.<br><br>Only good can come from putting games on a CF card, in a box, in Toys R Us or Office Depot. Just think of it! The glorious day will soon be upon us. Fellow PPC users and non-users alike, take heed and watch as the PPC rises to GameBoy popularity.
Moose or Chuck

Postby John Lomax » Jul 26, 2001 @ 6:20pm

I dont think its such a bad idea having the games available for sale on compact flash. That would be ok, but like you moose I have plenty of space on my card, so i'd probably end up with loads of these 6 meg cards lying around unused. By the time something like this would appear in our stores, pocketpc's would have more memory anyway. I mean 64meg pocketpc's are out now. Big compact flash cards are getting cheaper all the time. I think your average punter would prefer to have one big card, with all his games on, than a load of small cards. <br><br>I still would like to be able to go into a store and buy a compact flash card with a game on, get home, copy it over to my pocketpc and play the game. Cut the pc out of the loop...no more activesync installs. :)  
John Lomax
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 26, 2001 @ 7:07pm

And of course, for those that don't want the card at all, it would still be downloadable off the internet at a reduced price due to the lack of Compact Flash card, postage or shipping and handling.
Moose or Chuck

Postby suchiaruzu » Jul 26, 2001 @ 7:17pm

I kinda like the CF-idea, especially for users with limited space - and just think about it: it would give you some extra publicity, even more!
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

PreviousNext

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions