This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

ArGEntum for Palm m505 (PalmOS4)??

ArGEntum for Palm m505 (PalmOS4)??

Postby Jo » Aug 19, 2001 @ 7:44am

Hi,<br><br>Is Argentum eventually to be released for the PalmOS 4.0 / Palm m505?????<br><br>mfg jo
Jo

Re: ArGEntum for Palm m505 (PalmOS4)??

Postby suchiaruzu » Aug 19, 2001 @ 8:17am

LOL! This is a joke, isn't it? Moose, Chuck - is that you???<br>Nah, for three reasons:<br>1. Processor is too slow<br>2. Too low memory<br>3. Palm sucks
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Robotbeat » Aug 19, 2001 @ 11:00am

Oh! You forgot a few! <br><br>4 )The screen is too small (and in the case of the M505, has too little resolution). <br><br>5 )It has a different screen ratio than the Pocket PC. <br><br>6 )Since when is the Palm GAPI anything like the Pocket PC? <br><br>7 )Palm doesn't support wave-type audio. The only reason it has mp3 support is that someone thought they should embed a portable mp3 player in an add-on (or more expensive model). This "stupid" mp3 player is hardware, and so doesn't support wave-out like a real soundcard, like the Pocket PC supports. In other words, the best sounds you'd hear would be beeps for explosions and music. <br><br>8 ) From what I hear, the boyz want to keep it exclusive to Pocket PC 8)(well, at least WinCE). <br><br>9 )Palm sucks.
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Jo » Aug 19, 2001 @ 11:37am

IT WASEN'T A JOKE!!!!!!<br><br>W I N D O W S _ C E _ S U C K z z z z z ! ! ! ! ! !<br><br>Palm is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!! OperatingSystem for a mobile computer!!!!<br><br>WinCE is for Gamers and Kids!!!!!! PalmOS is for Business people!!!!!!!<br><br>Why do I need a mp3-player in my Palm??<br><br>Jo
Jo

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 19, 2001 @ 1:18pm

well you obviously don't need this game, have fun playing the 700th pong clone or some shit.
Moose or Chuck

Postby suchiaruzu » Aug 19, 2001 @ 1:27pm

Could someone please delete the post of this moron above chucks last post? looks like he's still some palm freak. palm sucks. pay a little more and you get a high-eng ppc, which is the best pda on the market. oh, and if you want argentum, why dont you want an mp3 player and stuff? d'oh!<br>SCNR
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 19, 2001 @ 3:09pm

Jo, if you think WindowsCE sucks because it's for gamers, why do you want a game for your Palm? <br>I can not foresee any game more complicated than Pac-Man.. let alone something with any gameplay value such as Argentum, Quake, Doom, or Turjah.<br><br>And Jo, no flaming. This board is for slightly mature people.<br><br>More simple is not better in any case. But what I want to know is, Jo, why did you pay 500 dollars for one of those "Super Secret Girl Power 5th Grade" organizers?<br><br>The PocketPC can do so many more business features than a Palm could ever think of accomplishing. I've got three different programming languages, PocketCAD, Manuals and eBooks, professional color graphics editors, HTML Internet capabilities, email, wireless internet, Wireless LAN, WAN, 1-5 Gigabyte hard drives, VGA Out Cards, PC Cards, CF Cards... And those are just a few of the PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS reasons why a PPC is more useful than a Palm.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Aug 19, 2001 @ 6:41pm

Damn, I wish I could find that post from Dan, like 6 months back, about why palms are inferior etc.  I just spent an hour or so looking for it, but to no avail.  That was a cool post, I wish I could post it every time I see a stupid comment like this.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SkaBoss » Aug 19, 2001 @ 8:23pm

Hey Moose whats the third language I only have PocketC and BASIC.
SkaBoss
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 19, 2001 @ 8:46pm

eVC++ eVB Pocket C Pocket Scheme , etc.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Aug 19, 2001 @ 10:01pm

You goy me curious Jaybot, so I had to do some searching of my own. You must be talking about .<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Jaybot » Aug 19, 2001 @ 11:05pm

Well, let me throw my opinion in here. I think some of the statements made here have been off the mark. <br><br>I've been writing CE software since 1997 (Windows CE 1.0). There have been 4 major releases since then (1.0, 2.0, 2.11 and 3.0). Each of these represented a large, positive improvement from the previous version. Basically, new functionality was added in each version, providing greater support for the Windows API and other standard libraries (such as ANSI C standard I/O routines), as well as adding support for physically different devices (going from 480x240 Handheld, to 240x320 Palm-sized devices, to 800x600 and larger tablets and desktop machines). <br>Windows 3.0 (Pocket PC) brought by far the largest changes, particularly with the shell and windowing environment. Microsoft greatly simplified the windowing system and tuned it for the smaller screen of a pocket pc, and IMO they did so too much to a fault (for example, all dialogs are full screen, and have a single OK button to close the window. What if you make a mistake changing a setting, and want to Cancel? You can't.). They were just trying to make the gui simpler and more Palm-like. Nobody is going to take 5 years to write a new OS for a new platform, and then say "Here it is. It is perfect. We will never improve this OS." Yeah, that would be a good thing. <br><br>Same thing with the hardware. I still have Windows CE 1.0 devices. They are slow (33 mhz), have a 4 greyscale screen, 4 MB RAM, and run about an hour before the batteries are dead. That was the best hardware that could be produced in a commercially viable way in 1997. That was only four years ago. Oh, I guess they should have spent 5 years developing the hardware and said "Here it is. It is perfect. We will never improve this hardware." Yeah, that would be a good thing. Do you drive a Ford Model-T? <br><br>As for the "simpler is better" spiel; I am absolutely so sick of hearing that it isn't even funny. I look at Palm OS in one way; take the cheapest, late 80's / early 90's hardware that can be mass produced extremely inexpensively (because there is nothing cutting-edge about it). Weak hardware requires a weak, simplistic OS. Thus the Palm OS is the way it is out of necessity. This is evidenced with the color Palm device. Who would actually buy that underpowered "enhanced gameboy" over a Casio EM-500? You've got to be kidding me. <br><br>Just what are these "Cool" worthless Pocket PC features people keep referring to? <br><br>A screen with far higher resolution that allows for more information to be viewed at one time more clearly? <br><br>Multitasking capability, allowing many programs to be executed simultaneously? <br><br>More memory, to store much more software, user data, and allow the execution of large, non-trivial applications? <br><br>Portable versions of the word processor and spread sheet software used most on desktop machines? <br><br>The ability to pop harddrives, modems, ethernet cards, wireless networking, memory cards, and other standardized expansion cards into the device? <br><br>Hardware capable of playing MP3s and full-screen, full-motion video? <br><br>The production of hardware by several diverse companies, creating a competitive market that has produced truly cutting edge, distinct hardware in a variety of flavors giving the customers a real choice? <br><br>Yeah, the lack of all of those capabilities absolutely makes Palm infinitely better than Pocket PCs. You totally convinced me with that less is better argument. I'm going to throw my Dell Inspiron laptop in the trash and start using a 10 digit calculator. No, make that a slide rule. <br><br>If we were talking about anything else here, cars, homes, desktop computers, microwaves, DVD players, VCRs, whatever, the "Mine is better than yours because it does so much less" argument would be totally idiotic. Surprise, surpise, it is in this case too. Palm 1) got a head start in the pocket computing market, and 2) brainwashed a huge number of people into thinking that less capability is better. Boy, what a scam. I'm going to start selling rocks for pets, just because they sit there and do absolutely nothing. I'm sure millions of people would buy them. Oh yeah, that's already been done. My point; Palm Pilots are the Pet Rocks of the portable computing world. Enough people don't know better, or just can't afford the newer technology. <br><br>Dan East <br>-------------------<br><br>Yup, that's the one.  God, I love that post. Should be bmuped every week. :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby nuOpus » Aug 20, 2001 @ 3:28am

Okay ... I am risking getting flammed, but here goes. How the heck are people comparing PocketPC machines agains PalmOS devices as being better products? PalmOS is better than PocketPC at data storage and data retrieval. There are better business software for PalmOS ... not only in quality, but also in sheer number. In short .. it is a data organizer. PocketPC devices are meant to be more like portable computers and focus on eye candy and multimedia, but lacks in SERIOUS software for business use. Sure there are some .... but this is where Palm will excell.<br><br>I have used a PalmOS since the beginning .... and love that platform. It is FAST. Not to meantion that the DataViz DocumentsToGo software has better compatibility for MS Word docs than MS Pocket Word for god sake! It supports full tables and word formatting withoug messing with the desktop file. I also have a Casio e-125 and I miss the stuff that the Palm is capable of. But ... I love the multimedia.<br><br>They are targetted for two completely different market segments. Please don't confuse the two. The people that typically complain about "Palm Sucks" are the same people that have never really used one for an extended period of time.
nuOpus
pm Member

Postby RICoder » Aug 20, 2001 @ 12:12pm

Oh no...I can't stop myself from posting.<br><br>POINT 1 : Dan's original statement is correct, although missing one important next step, which is to say that typical people are convinced that MS is evil, thus all products that are not MS are superior.  This is why Mac exists.<br><br>POINT 2 : This concept of PalmOS being business-centric and for the business user is quite laughable.  I have not seen a Palm in ANY meeting with serious business people for a while.  In fact I see more iPaqs than I can believe.  The thing is, it has become fairly mainstreem to 'beam' business cards after said meetings (its really weird seen people with gray hair doing this).  Palm doesn't suck, but then neither does my way-cool Casio Scientific calculator...but I wouldn't use either do any serious business mobile computing.<br><br>POINT 3 : Simple truth.  If you can run a Palm emulator on a PPC, but you cannot run a PPC emulator on a Palm, which is superior?
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Robotbeat » Aug 20, 2001 @ 3:06pm

There are serious business apps on the Pocket PC. Of course, almost everyone on this forum knows that, but let me give you an example:<br><br>POCKET CAD!!! <br><br>You don't call that a "serious business app"? What about Excel? The third-party database apps available (for both platforms) are better, but Excel is bundled and built-in.<br><br>I just wanted to give one 3rd party app example and one out-of-the-box app example. Seriously, the iPAQ is an almost perfect business device. I've seen new mono iPAQs being sold for LESS THAN $150 (actually, they are selling them for $140), at big stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. The only new Palm that costs less is the m100. For goodness sake, the iPAQ has twice as much RAM as the m105 and the iPAQ is selling for $50 less (not even mentioning the fact that the rest of the iPAQ's hardware is superior in every way)!<br><br>Dear Palm fanatics:<br> Please read this informative message:<br>PALM HAS BRAINWASHED YOU INTO THINKING THAT YOU SHOULD PAY THE SAME AMOUNT FOR INFERIOR HARDWARE. I am not even kidding about that. Why should someone pay $80 more for only 6 MB of more RAM? That is pathetic! Palm doesn't want to make you happy and give you a "good deal", Palm just wants your money. It steals from its brainwashed masses. Regardless of what you think of the OS (which is not up to the task of running the hardware of the high-end Sony Clie. In fact, it has only 256 colors simply because of the Palm OS), demand BETTER HARDWARE! Do not buy out-of-date hardware and an ancient snail CPU.<br><br>Palm is not your friend.<br><br>Friends don't let friends use Palm.
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Next

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions