This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Whats coming up in the next version of Argentum?

Whats coming up in the next version of Argentum?

Postby Alex_Makin » Jun 21, 2002 @ 3:12am

Hi everyone,

Of course, I don't want to spoil any surprises for upcoming editions, but I was wondering if the producers of Argentum might list what bug-fixes are coming up in future editions... (and suggested issue dates)?

You see, I have been thinking about possible ways of communicating to customers/demo-users, so that the same questions don't keep getting asked... Yes I know I am just another user who hasn't posted that many posts (damn newbies!), but I do log into this forum daily to see what “news” there is and waiting avidly for new information. So please don’t take this as having a go at the current forum (I’m not), but I am wondering if there is a better way :D

So, I thought how about somewhere (this forum or elsewhere via a link), where the producers of Argentum (is that Carpedium and Malmer??) could state what bug fixes they are currently working on and when the new version is expected to be issued. Maybe they could list what new features they intend to introduce, what is feasible and what is not? Official mission packs perhaps? New units? etc... (For example, I was playing last night and I thought wouldn’t it be cool, if like Total Annihilation, you could have a flying ITBA. Send it over somewhere real quick and start building... Or, ITBAs could not only mine Argentum, they could also recycle metal from dead units (maybe that is ripping off TA too much??) Would love a “Big Bertha”, firing rounds halfway across the screen... “K’BANGGG!!” ... Woo Hoo!! :D Maybe even possible to produce additional Resource Centres (the buildings that make ITBAs) so that maps that have Argentum mines a long way away from the RC, could mine and deliver Argentum to the newer, closer RC. Also in Skirmish mode, if you have another RC, you can keep playing if the enemy knocks out the first one...

Now it should be said that I am only up to Mission 9 to date and I might find some of the above mentioned ideas in future missions, however, I hope you get my drift... :D

Now I also know there is a post titled “Bug reports - Post here if you find any”, but I checked and there doesn’t seem to have been anything added since April 30?? As well, you have to scroll through many pages to get an idea of what the bugs are. So I was thinking... How about a poll of bugs with an attached counter so each time someone discovers a bug, they can either add a new bug with a check a box (or similar) or simply add to an existing bug (and check box) that adds another "count" for that bug. (You might even need to put in something to prevent one person adding multiple counts of the same bug to make it appear worse, so only allow each user to add a known bug once ("Guest" would not be able to add?) ) The poll might even allow you to select which processor type / CPU speed for that bug (eg MIPS, 133mhz). Thus the producers of Argentum could see at a glance which are the most common bugs and which machine does it affect most...

Maybe a bit like this?

Bug CPU spd Type Raised by Fix?
Game Freeze when reloading a saved game... 133 MIPS Alex_Makin Click here
Units being created off edge of screen... 206 ARM Alex_Makin Click here

Add New Bug?

Registered forum readers could add new bugs, and as a bug is fixed or an answer can be found, the moderator can have a link elsewhere with the answer (eg “Fixed in Rel 1.2”, “Move Rally Point inside map area”, etc).

So I guess to start with:
1) Any sign of a (PDF) manual coming out? Suggested tips for new players, maybe even a chart showing what you need first before you can build something else (like Age of Empires, Civilisation...) Published required-Argentum-per-unit for easy lookup (keep on desk beside you)
2) Skirmish mode (that’s against the computer right??)
3) Multiplayer support (Bluetooth / WLAN support)
4) Mission walkthroughs ? (Maybe elsewhere so you are not tempted to cheat too early)
5) Smarter AI for your units that once finishing attacking an enemy unit, just sit there and get attacked by another enemy unit in the vicinity (while you are elsewhere building stuff, not realising)
6) Ability to pause then Alt-tab via PPC button back to Today screen where necessary (rather than hibernate and reload)
7) Password to quickly go to a selected mission level, issued at the end of the previous mission. Nothing would sh*t me more if I got to near the end (say Mission 13), some major drama happened to my PPC meaning a re-install, and then having to work through all those missions again to get back to where I was...

Anyway, its just a couple of ideas... (I would welcome feedback, but hey! try not to shoot me down too much...) :D
Alex Makin
Melbourne
AUSTRALIA
Alex_Makin
pm Member

Postby Michael Y » Jun 21, 2002 @ 3:29am

As I'm not in any way connected with Ionside, I can't really answer most of your questions. However, regarding the request for the manual-type thing, I have created a tutorial similar to my [url="http://www.walkergroup.com/snails/manual.html"]Snails tutorial[/url], but I'm still working on my new site before I upload it. It should be up in a few weeks...
Michael Y
pm Insider

Postby Simbanus » Jul 2, 2002 @ 11:12pm

When is the next version going to come? I have played all the missions and all available maps. I have not seen any post of the developers any more.

Simbanus
Simbanus

Postby esw » Jul 3, 2002 @ 6:59pm

esw
pm Member

Postby welwyngc » Jul 3, 2002 @ 9:45pm

welwyngc

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jul 4, 2002 @ 7:32am

Yeah guys, we have taken a bit of time off, but we'll be back soon enough and we'll update the game to 1.3, the main change will be that you'll be able to play with the nirike'i on custom maps
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions