This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

argentum for HPC?

Re: argentum for HPC?

Postby Jaybot » Aug 19, 2001 @ 6:55pm

Thomas, kinda, but not really, the target platform is Casio and Ipaq Color PPCs, and possibly HP PPCs.  <br><br>But you're cool, and you'll port the game for a free copy.  This HPC guy sounds like he wants to make profits. bleh.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby TBone » Aug 19, 2001 @ 7:05pm

Yeah, I'll port it for free, but I'm doing it for fun, I don't need the money, and there's next to no work involved if Carpe and Malmer have done a good job, which it sounds like they have. Rob has a lot more to deal with when porting to an H/PC. The screen size is different, the input changes, the GAPI doesn't exist in nearly the same way, and there are likely other alterations at the API level. More importantly, have you looked at his website? Some of the services offered are very nice, like the optimization. And for only what? A hundred bucks? I think he's doing it for a pretty good price, myself.<br><br>Jay, you gotta keep in mind that there's a lot more involved here than you know, since you're not a programmer. Rob faces a lot of obstacles for ports, and therefore can charge. Whereas for me, I don't consider myself to be going out of line asking for permission to port because it requires absolutely nothing on the part of the Ionside crew. Except the source of course. Even then, I've done two of these ports already and advised on another, making a simple matter of plugging in my own conversion code and sending them back the source and compiled copy. So yeah, we all want to see it out on the "target" platforms of H36XX and E-1XX, but I want it on mono, and it doesn't hurt to ask for it.<br><br>Besides, it doesn't look like they're paying a lot of attention to this thread anyway, so I'll have to write if I want the honors. I trust they know what they're doing, and I can't wait to see it on WHATEVER platform it's released on.
3V1L L337 H3150
TBone
pm Member

Postby Matt Keys » Aug 19, 2001 @ 7:09pm

I think Rob has a good idea, yes he is trying to make a profit, thats why he opened up his website. Well that and to bring more software to the hpc. But I dont think he is comming across right when he talks to the developers.
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby CARPEDIEM » Aug 19, 2001 @ 7:13pm

Well, since Argentum is not freeware we really can't give the sourcecode to anybody. A source code is a very expensive thing and most likely nobody will be able to check out Argentum's.<br>We can port it ourselves, if we do it we'll probably need your help so we'll keep you in mind, thanks a lot for the offer man.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby TBone » Aug 19, 2001 @ 7:16pm

<grin>
3V1L L337 H3150
TBone
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Aug 19, 2001 @ 11:11pm

I'm sorry if I came off sounding like I thought anyone porting stuff is an evil, evil person.  I didn't mean that at all.  I'd explain myself, but it seems like Carpe has pretty much finished explaining for everyone. :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby R0B » Aug 26, 2001 @ 3:23pm

So, in that case, can you please try to have a version for the HPC2000 out shortly after the ppc version.  I know that you will not be sorry.
"1011001010 NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" -Bender
R0B
got muffins?

Postby R0B » Sep 2, 2001 @ 6:49pm

Just thought that I'd mention this, because this is the type of game that I am looking for.  If you haven't been to www.pocketgamer.org receantly, then you should go.  I have decided to close down my bussiness (Rob rambles for a little while).  You can see all of the details at www.pocketgamer.org.  So, if you are interested, send me an email at playnogamz@nls.net, and if not, I guess that it is your loss.
"1011001010 NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" -Bender
R0B
got muffins?

Previous

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions