This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Argentum MODS legal stuff

Re: Argentum MODS legal stuff

Postby John Lomax » Aug 23, 2001 @ 8:01pm

Forgot to add that people like randall have some fantastic ideas on creating something which goes beyond just a simple mod. On this I think some sort of collaboration with Ionside would be great, and benefitial to both. :)<br><br>John
John Lomax
pm Member

Postby Wiro » Aug 26, 2001 @ 9:23am

Hi all, I'm "one of the other guys" doing the Argentum graphics together with John. I'm not part of the Pocket PC community (I don't even own one) so the whole attitude of mods and releases might be different to what I'm used to.<br><br>But I think it's funny how people seem to think a commercial mod should totally cut out Ionside from the deal. Yes, the mod idea might be fully unique but think about it: without Ag and it's engine you would have had to write an engine by yourself. The money and time saved in this is what you should pay a small fee to Ionside for. It's just the way it is, people do it for the Quake engines, the Halflife engine and the Unreal engine.<br><br>Even what someone mentioned here about them not having to pay Adobe for selling the graphics they make...you do! You pay a large ammount of money for the program because they know it's probably gonna be used commercially. You can pay 1/4 or less for a student copy of a 3D animation package like Maya or 3D Studio Max but you cannot make money off it. As soon as you do you pay the $16'000 they want for the full program. That's a hell of a lot more than you pay for Ag...<br><br>If a mod only offers new gameplay but not really new technology (like Counterstrike or Team Fortress) then they should probably be free (I did buy the commercial CS though).<br>If you are putting in new technology built upon an existing engine in order to sell as a new game then you owe the engine developers for having laid the base for you, even if the result has nothing to do with the original game. If you know it would have cost you more to develop the engine from scratch, then it's WORTH IT.<br><br>Okay, I'm looking at this from a PC market point of view so please bear with me.<br><br>By the way, I'm not speaking for Ionside here. In fact I don't even know them too well (I'm purely into this because John Lomax needed some help with the Ag graphics...I did most of the units).<br><br>Can someone help me off this soapbox?<br><br>Arild Wiro<br><br>www.secondreality.ch<br>www.warthog.co.uk
Wiro

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 26, 2001 @ 9:35am

For a mod you have to own the full game and have it on the PPC. Mods are not seperate entities. Why did this debate start anyway?
Moose or Chuck

Postby John Lomax » Aug 26, 2001 @ 9:59am

Hey wiro...Your are supposed to be on holiday in switzerland..what the hell you doing on these forums anyhow? :)<br><br>lol, welcome to pocketmatrix ;)<br><br>Remember they can be really harsh on here. :)<br><br>J.
John Lomax
pm Member

Postby John Lomax » Aug 26, 2001 @ 10:07am

Also, A little off topic, but I would also like to thank roy fielding for helping with a couple of the buildings when I got too busy. Between him and wiro we got through a whole load of art.<br><br>Nearly 40 building and units in, not forgetting all the animations, fire and building frames, explosions, intro pictures etc. A whole load of work, so please remember those that are thinking of a mod, it doesnt happen overnight.<br><br>Thats for sure :)
John Lomax
pm Member

Postby randall » Aug 26, 2001 @ 3:16pm

It doesn't matter. If Ionside and I can't come to terms, then we will find other things to do. I'm not the least bit concerned, and I quite sure Ionside isn't either.<br><br>I was just hoping they could see my point of view, and change this stale industry.<br><br>As it stands, I don't think the Ag engine will be flexible enough to do what we want anyway. It would be pretty difficult to cover all the bases when you only have one designer. I can't be sure though until I get a copy of Ag - whenever that is - a month from now?<br><br>so all of this is pretty fruitless anyway.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Robotbeat » Aug 26, 2001 @ 5:09pm

I think you should just join the Ionside team. This vision of yours sounds like another killer game for a start-up company to get going with.
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby suchiaruzu » Aug 26, 2001 @ 5:14pm

Ha! Are you crazy? <br>He said if they dont agree they will look for something else. It's so easy! Ionside plays crazy, he doesnt agree. So he doesnt want to have anything to do with Ionside anymore. Why the hell should he give them his idea then?!?
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby sickman2o0o » Aug 26, 2001 @ 7:07pm

Hey John, i can't code but i can do gfx stuff, it would be nice to know how to get my own mod.<br>(i was away 4 along time, don't know if it's discribed before)<br>i would be interested i ur doc!<br><br>
sickman2o0o
pm Member

Postby Wiro » Aug 27, 2001 @ 3:53am

Heya John. I'm still in Switzeryodelland. Getting ready to catch the plane back in some hours.<br><br>I just took over my brother's PC to browse the net a bit and remembered I hadn't been here yet :)<br><br>Seeya tomorrow.<br><br>Arild Wiro<br><br>www.secondreality.ch<br>www.warthog.co.uk
Wiro

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 27, 2001 @ 10:25am

All your bases are belong to us.
Moose or Chuck

Postby esw » Aug 27, 2001 @ 1:22pm

OK.. can someone please explain to me the phrase "All your bases are belonging to us"...<br><br>This is about the third time I've seen this mentioned on the internet. Is it some kind of elite insider's club joke? I feel like I'm missing out... everyone seems to understand but me :(
esw
pm Member

Postby randall » Aug 27, 2001 @ 3:21pm

<br><br>It defies explanation. You just have to see it.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 27, 2001 @ 3:23pm

It's from a game called Zero Wing for the sega Genesis. That's a phrase from the game. It was made by a Japanese person who doesn't really know english, so it sounds funny. That particular language is called "engrish." And it's really old. It's been over for about 5 months, so.... ya.
Moose or Chuck

Postby esw » Aug 27, 2001 @ 4:29pm

heh, funny :)
esw
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators: