This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Argentum's story

Argentum's story

Postby CARPEDIEM » Sep 24, 2001 @ 11:46am

Well, the story has changed quite a lot... I'll tell you a little bit about what it is about now. <br><br>In the far future, humanity has spread all across the solar system, colonies are virtually in every planet and the head of the solar system is of course Earth. <br>The problem is that these colonies have grown quite a bit and they no longer need to be a colony, they want their freedom and to rule their planets independently. Earth sees this as a threat against his existence because most of his resources had been depleted in the XXI century, and they cannot subsist without their colonies. <br>So there really isn't a bad guy in the story, just two sides fighting for what they think is right. You will play in earth's side against the "United Federation of Planets", if you fail, Earth will no longer have resources to maintain the thousands of millions of inhabitants it has, and will face a death sentence. <br>Earth is a tyrant with other planets, but if she stops being one, she faces destruction. You believe earth should not be left out there to rot and will fight against the United Planets no matter what it takes. <br>Two sides, each one fighting for his selfish goals, there's no right or wrong here, it's a turning point in humanity's history and war is the only option. In this first chapter of argentum you will play Admiral Lindon Steele, and will lead a mayor campaign against the UP, if you fail earth will be no more, if you succeed hundreds of millions will still live under the mercyless shadow of Planet Earth. <br><br>what do you guys think of it? <br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Re: Argentum's story

Postby Digby » Sep 24, 2001 @ 12:00pm

Why can't we all just get along????<br><br><br>Sorry, couldn't resist that one.  So are you going to have planet-based missions, where you clear one planet at a time on your way to eventually whipping the entire solar system into submission? (Lick my boot heel, Martian scum!)<br><br>Personally, I stand on the side of Earth as that's where all those people on the other planets came from.  It probably didn't help Earth's limited resource problem in setting up those colonies on the other planets.  Lucky for me, I get to play on Earth's side in the game.<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Robotbeat » Sep 24, 2001 @ 12:00pm

Mr. "Seizure" (y'know, Carpediem, Sieze the Day...), your story line is more interesting. It's also more depressing. Oh well. That can be a good thing, you know. It keeps people motivated. I guess. <br><br>Maybe you should find a happier ending. A surprise ending. You know, don't tell any of us until someone who beats the game writes a review. Or, we beat the game ourselves. <br><br>I think a naval Argentum would be cool. Well, not maybe the original Argentum, but you could make a mission pack. Like, have it set inside one of the ice-moons in our solar system. Or, you could also have it set on either Uranus or Neptune, because they theoretically have oceans 1000s of miles deep under their even larger (much, much larger) atmospheres. Funny coincidence... Neptune, the mythical god of the sea, actually has a giant ocean... Anyways... <br><br>Yeah, you could have submarines and stuff... That would be cool to have alpha-blended watery-looking textures overlaid on the entire screen that ake it look all cool and watery... mmmmm...
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Luciano U. Werner » Sep 24, 2001 @ 12:38pm

Nice, Carpe. It's a believable and logic story. From what your're saying I infer there will be only one side that is playable (Earth). It would be nice if we could see the other side too, but I know this was done because of PPC limitations.<br>It will be intresting to play the morally wrong side. Here's a good hook for Ag2: the UP's revenge or the same story but through their eyes.<br>How about it?
Celerius quam asparagi cocuntur
Luciano U. Werner
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Sep 24, 2001 @ 12:59pm

LUW,<br><br>Morally wrong???  How do you figure?  Earth expends a huge amount of it's resources in setting up these colonies on remote planets and in return asks for resources, only to get the shaft by these disrespective squatters who tell the home planet to bugger off.  A deal is a deal in my eyes.  <br><br>Imagine if I gave you 10 acres of my land and a house to live in, paid your moving costs, then asked in return that you grow crops on the acreage and give the harvest to me.  Then you get settled in and grow the crops and say, "Bugger off Digby, I'm NOT going to give you any of the harvest and by the way, I'm going to start a David Koresh cult, build a meth lab, and blast hip-hop at 130db all day long right here on your back 40! Whatcha gunna do, huh?"<br>Call it tyranny if you like, but I'll be back there with Ol'Betsy and my Humvee in no time.  Get ready for a battle.<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby RICoder » Sep 24, 2001 @ 2:01pm

^--- NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD MOD!<br><br>Carpe, nice story dude.  Thought provoking.  Good stuff.<br>
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Luciano U. Werner » Sep 24, 2001 @ 7:31pm

Digby, I said "moraly wrong" because Earth (I think) will have all the resources to win the battle. I have a tendency to side with the weaker side, and it seemed to me that the UP was the case. Of course I'm talking only on suppositions, since I didn't see the whole story.<br>Does anybody else like those games with huge backup stories, like MechWarrior?
Luciano U. Werner
pm Insider

Postby RICoder » Sep 24, 2001 @ 7:33pm

I'm a firm believer in a good background story for a game.  It covers the immersion angle.<br><br>Luci, you side with the underdog?  You should be in the MEDIA!~ *runs*
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Luciano U. Werner » Sep 24, 2001 @ 7:38pm

Only when the underdog is right.
Luciano U. Werner
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Sep 24, 2001 @ 8:25pm

Isn't Earth a 'her'?
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby esw » Sep 24, 2001 @ 8:28pm

Sounds really cool.<br><br>I'd say I agree with robotbeat's idea about having boats and water.. that would be really nice for an expansion pack or something. There's just something cool about boats, especially transports. You can send out a massive ship attack, and while the enemy is busy with that, you drop off a few marines at the other side of his base:) not that you couldn't do that with air units, but.. water looks cool too<br><br>
esw
pm Member

Postby Berylium » Sep 24, 2001 @ 10:07pm

Interesting that no one has pointed out the extreme similarity between Argentum's storyline and the background to the American Revolution.  Funny how many people are considering the Argentum colonies to be in the wrong which is the same stance as the British who we defeated in the Revolutionary war.  Of course this relies on the aforementioned posters being American but interesting all the same.
Berylium

Postby jongjungbu » Sep 24, 2001 @ 10:14pm

Watch out, Paul is British and he already lashes out at Newcomers and Guests. ;)
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Luciano U. Werner » Sep 24, 2001 @ 10:27pm

Hey, Digby, what do you say to that?
Luciano U. Werner
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Sep 24, 2001 @ 11:56pm

What's that you're on about, old chap?  Time for tea!  Good day!<br><br>
Digby