This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

NS/Basic vs PPL speed

NS/Basic vs PPL speed

Postby kornalius » Aug 19, 2004 @ 8:05pm

Hi,

I installed the NS/Basic 5 demo last night and decided to test out the benchmark.nsb program on my Asus A620 @ 400 Mhz. It is a very simple program that do a loop for 10 seconds and returns the number of loops it did per seconds.

I scored, 19,023 iterations per seconds.

I then decided to reproduce the same little program in PPL just to see how competitive PPL can be with those big products, including eVb.

With PPL I scored a whooping 160,204 iterations per seconds. 8O

I tested a couple times and double-checked both codes to make sure I wasn't allucinating. Everything is the same and I am very surprise at the speed of PPL. Of course it's nowhere close to the speed of eVc but for an interpreted language it can easily beat Microsoft's vbscript speed. There is a lot of stronger points with vbscript but to write games it is not really a good solution.

Now... I don't know how this would result with Embedded Visual Basic since I don't know if it uses vbscript or not. I would be very interested to see how eVb would run this NS/Basic program. NS/Basic claims to be a lot faster than eVb on their web site.

Anyway, I am not intending to discredit these great products, it was a test that I did for myself and it turned out to be very satisfying for me. :D
Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
kornalius
pm Member

Return to Pocket Programming Language (PPL)

Forum Description

Discuss this new development tool.

Moderator:

kornalius

Forum permissions