This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PNG Image Files

PNG Image Files

Postby Dan East » Nov 9, 2001 @ 4:16pm

Are PNG image files as ubiquitous as GIFs? Is it supported by all web browsers? Is there a reason I should not use PNG instead of GIF for my website? Thanks!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Re: PNG Image Files

Postby Paul » Nov 9, 2001 @ 4:18pm

personally i hate pngs.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby suchiaruzu » Nov 9, 2001 @ 4:21pm

Dan,<br>PNG is one of the best graphic formats ever. I used them for everything on my website. They are supported by every browser. They look EXACTLY like the original bmp. They are small.<br>Contra: they cannot be animated or transparent. That's what MNG is for. Unfortunately it's only supported by netscape6...
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Nov 9, 2001 @ 4:25pm

Okay, so they can't be transparent. I just don't want to support GIF because of the licensing issues. It's not that I'm concerned about that hurting me personally, as much as it is the whole principal of it.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Nov 9, 2001 @ 4:26pm

png sucks jaybots balls.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Boogaloo_Shrimp » Nov 9, 2001 @ 4:39pm

png files can carry alpha channels and they can have transperency you can define the matte. i think you can only have one or the other.<br><br>
Boogaloo_Shrimp
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Nov 9, 2001 @ 5:00pm

PNG is the best graphics format available, don't listen to Paul, He's an asshole.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Nov 9, 2001 @ 5:02pm

yeah, and you arent mister 'cant manage his so-called anger so he comes on here to waste our time insulting everyone' sonne. bah.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby RICoder » Nov 9, 2001 @ 5:53pm

PNG is about as ubiquitous as GIF...<br><br>I just wanted to say ubiquitous...<br><br>Seriously though, I would use them over GIF because of the guarantee you get color-wise.  This holds especially true if you are trying to color-match with an HTML color.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Boogaloo_Shrimp » Nov 9, 2001 @ 10:26pm

png aka Ping Not Gif :p
Boogaloo_Shrimp
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Nov 10, 2001 @ 3:26am

ROFL paul... pngs seriously do, I agree, although, I speak fluent English, and that seems to be what makes us not like PNGs as much as other formats... I used to think PNGs were a European thing, now i now that they are a European, nopn-english fluent thing, lol thanks. ;)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Nov 10, 2001 @ 1:15pm

what are you talking about?
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Nov 10, 2001 @ 7:56pm

PNG images can have an alpha channel so it covers transparency, however it doesn't support animation.  And whether a browser supports the alpha channel of  PNG image is a different matter entirely.<br><br>More here: <br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » Nov 12, 2001 @ 2:36am

yeah... IE doesn't support alpha blending, etc... neither do most of the other browsers out there.. and it's a pitty.. you know how much alpha blending would mean to a web designer?.... !!!!!!! it makes me feel excited just talking about it... anyways... um.. PNG rocks arse.. Photoshop sucks at exporting them... it doesn't compress them the correct way.. there are a few programs out there that will convert to a compressed png.. i use png whenever i can, as you've probably noticed. well.. not so much anymore... but it will become a habbit again.. <br><br>PNG kicks GIF... YAY...<br><br>are we talking about 8bit PNG? or the other super-PNG? :)
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions