This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Ethernet Debuggung

Ethernet Debuggung

Postby vickerto » Nov 22, 2001 @ 1:33am

I just got a CF Ethernet card and I would like to use it to debug in EVC.  I go to the platform manager and select TCP/IP.  I can connect to the device when I click test, but when I debug it still goes really slow (like it is still using the USB connection).  Can anyone shine some light on how to do this?  Thanks!<br><br>Tom
vickerto

Re: Ethernet Debuggung

Postby BadBazza » Nov 22, 2001 @ 9:33am

Hi Vickerto,<br><br>I hope I can help as I had all sorts of problems when I first got my ethernet card.<br><br>Unfortunately at the time I did not know about PocketMatrix so I posted my queries and findings on PocketProjects. The relevant links are<br>http://www.pocketprojects.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002278.html and<br>http://www.pocketprojects.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002294.html<br>If you are still having problems just let me know. <br><br>Debugging by ethernet is way faster than by USB/Serial<br><br>Hope this helps<br><br>Bad
Lost....... Assumed Coding!
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Nov 22, 2001 @ 10:50am

It should take a few seconds to start a debug session, and a fraction of a second to step from line to line with ethernet. Last night I had to use USB (because I had to debug an app that used a Storage Card). I had forgotten just how SLOW USB was! :)<br>I don't know what is suggested on that other site, but you may also want to try installing the drivers specifically for your ethernet card instead of the default Pocket PC drivers.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby vickerto » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:02am

I cannot seem to get it to connect to ActiveSync using the default driver or the driver for the card (Socket LP).  When I put the card in, ActiveSync starts on the device and asks for the type of connection.  I select Network and then my desktop computer name.  It says Connecting, but it never does.  Is this why the debugging won't work in EVC?  Do I need to establish this connection first?  In EVC I created a new device in Platform Manager that had the exact same name as the USB connection.  I set it to TCPIP and tested it.  It connected fine, but it still debugs SLOW.  I noticed that there is an advanced setting in the platform manager for Manual Server or ActiveSync.  I have been using ActiveSync because the manual server option doesn't seem to work.  Is this correct?  Thanks for all of the help.<br><br>Tom
vickerto

Postby BadBazza » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:02am

Don't you fancy a trip to the "other side" Dan? :)<br><br>Cheers<br>Bad
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby vickerto » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:05am

Ha, weird.  I just went into the Platform Manager and tested TCP/IP without the ethernet card in there and it still connected.  It must still be using my USB connection.  So I am even worse off than I thought.  DOH!
vickerto

Postby BadBazza » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:10am

Tom,<br><br>The process I use is :-<br><br>On the Desktop start eVC++ (you can do this after you've started ActiveSync on your PocketPC)<br><br>On your PPC go Start/Programs/ActiveSync select network connection and then your desktop's id.<br><br>Your PPC should then connect to your desktop, ActiveSync will check for what needs syncing and then you should be able to debug using ethernet.<br><br>I can't think of anything else, I assume you have the correct IP settings. I used this article on cewindows.net to help me http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/ethernet.htm<br><br>I hope this all helps<br><br>Bad
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby BadBazza » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:11am

Tom,<br><br>Just a thought.... But you have told ActiveSync to use Ethernet and unchecked the USB and Serial boxes?<br><br>Cheers<br>Bad
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby BadBazza » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:14am

Tom,<br><br>Here's my thread that started my network debugging off and where the cewindows.net link came from. http://www.pocketprojects.com/ubb/Forum ... 02053.html<br><br>Cheers<br>Bad
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby BadBazza » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:16am

Tom,<br><br>I hope I speak for all members of PocketMatrix when I say "Tom, please register"<br><br>Cheers<br>Bad
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby vickerto » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:24am

Ok, I unchecked the serial and USB boxes.  When I try to connect it opens the dialog box asking me which type of connection and which computer to connect to.  The name of the computer is correct (my desktop computers name).  I click connect and it says "PC contacted.  Locating connection agent.  Please wait..."  This screen stays up for about 10 seconds and then disappears, but ActiveSync on my desktop doesn't say it is connected at all.  I have a cable modem with a static IP address, so those are the addresses that I have been using.  Do I need to change these for the connection to work?  It seems that it is somewhat working since it knows the name of my desktop computer when I try to connect.  Oh well, I'll keep plugging away.  Thanks.<br><br>Tom
vickerto

Postby vickerto » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:25am

:) Actually I am registered.  My PC just didn't have my name saved.  I'll switch to that name...
vickerto

Postby vickerto » Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:28am

Ha.  I tried to login and it said my username doesn't exist.  I figured that my account had been deleted or something, so I went to register again.  When I try to register it says that I can't because that username already exist.  Go figure...
vickerto

Postby Dan East » Nov 22, 2001 @ 12:12pm

Disconnect the USB cable from your PC, or don't put your device in its cradle. I have had problems establishing an ethernet activesync connection while physically connected via USB.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions