This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

What happened to Directx

What happened to Directx

Postby R0B » Dec 9, 2001 @ 12:37pm

I can't remember if this is correct or not, but what ever happened to that guy who was going to do a port of directx to the ppc?  Just curious.
"1011001010 NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" -Bender
R0B
got muffins?

Re: What happened to Directx

Postby Digby » Dec 9, 2001 @ 2:06pm

That was RICoder and FZammetti.  I think it started .<br><br>I don't think it went anywhere, but RIC is a better person to comment than me.<br><br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby MirekCz » Dec 9, 2001 @ 5:40pm

why to bother? EasyCE is fine I guess, you just might want to add some function to it for sound, 3d graphic and similar, no need to write a full dx or ogl apis as they would be probably slow then...
With best regards,
Mirek Czerwinski
MirekCz
pm Member

Postby Ian Ferguson » Dec 10, 2001 @ 7:28am

You do have the option of PocketGL which is a GAPI based 3D toolkit. It has loads of 3D features & can be used in demo mode with only a few restrictions. You can download from PocketProjects (development section)<br><br>I'm a registered user having beeen convinced to part with $49 once I had tried the demos. There are 10 sample programs in the download.<br><br>Ian<br><br>
Ian Ferguson

Postby R0B » Dec 10, 2001 @ 9:46pm

money for a graphics library, that's a joke.  Why, if microsoft gives away one of the best (in my opinion at least) for free, do people think that just because a system is new, they should charge $50 for one that only had a fraction of the functions.  If I really want a function, then I would reather write it myself than pay people for it.  With all of the tutorials out there on graphics, it isn't hard to do.  I was just hoping someone took the time to compile a lot of the functions together in a free sogtware program.  My investment in WinCe was my 720.  Just my opinion though.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby MirekCz » Dec 11, 2001 @ 9:00am

Rob 49$ are peanuts for all the hard work this dude did. He could write his own game or sth during that time, but no, he was writing a portable and easy to use library for you so you can just call few functions and never touch all the complex 3d math , polygon fillers and optimizations. It's worth much more then 49$... and remember, if you really use it for something commercial, you get your 49$ after 3-4 sold products...(here as products I mean 15-20$ games)<br>Anyway, does M$ give away anything for free? Every PPC uses Windows, so someone had to pay for them.... and it was you, my friend. Giving away EVC++ , GAPI and stuff like this is just a very smart marketing move - more programs, more customers, more PPCs, more windows sold...<br><br>And if you like free librarys, go ahead and write one.<br>PS.yeah, there are tutorials, but reading them and writing a fast implementation are two very different things. Underestanding them is somewhere in between, too.<br><br>PPS.Rob, yeah, your 720, cool, think what a PC without software is.........<br><br>PPPS.Yeah, I'm really fed up with all the "Why there's no free library for XYZ" and "Why haven't you ported XYZ to PPC, yet?!?" Start working ppl or shut up...
With best regards,
Mirek Czerwinski
MirekCz
pm Member

Postby MirekCz » Dec 11, 2001 @ 4:58pm

Robert:there will be no directx clone as it seems. Rob doesn't seem to be interested in implementing one... <br>Paul:here we go again...
With best regards,
Mirek Czerwinski
MirekCz
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Dec 11, 2001 @ 6:53pm

...two pages of off-topic posts deleted...<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby R0B » Dec 11, 2001 @ 7:13pm

Mirek, I have a couple nastey words I would like to say to you, but I won't.  I just want you to know that I have never begged for something to be ported, only for the source code so I would port it myself.  Like Quake, that 720 port was me.  me me me me me.  And Wolf, I am still trying to get the source from Dan.  And if you are a freeware developer, $50 is a lot to pay for something after you have invested $700 in the device.  I will continue this latter, but I have to go.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby MirekCz » Dec 11, 2001 @ 8:27pm

First of all:I have never said you begged for anything...<br><br>yes, 50$ isn't little for someone without cash (hey, I haven't got a PPC...) but you have to remember, that PocketGL developer had to:<br>1.buy a device<br>2.spend hours programming the 3d engine<br>3.do all kind of additional work like documentation, example programs and so on<br>And you expect him to give it away for free?(there are ppl that do it, which doesn't mean everyone has to...)<br>if you are a freeware developer you're doing everything yourself/with friends. (That's what I currently do - I code everything myself)
With best regards,
Mirek Czerwinski
MirekCz
pm Member

Postby RwGast » Dec 11, 2001 @ 8:39pm

Im sorry but i agree with Mirek here so maybe you should all lay off. If i made a library like pocketGL i would charge too. You guys are just free loaders. Were all entitled to our opinions let Mirek have his. Just stop the damn fighting.
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Postby RwGast » Dec 11, 2001 @ 9:16pm

I was thinking about it more and Rob you need to get over it, i dont hear you bitching that you have to spend way over 700 bucks for your computer, and that MS then charges you 1000 bucks for visual studio. Now i have bought vb and vc++ as standalone products many times through like versions 4-6 but my buissness gives me my own copy of VS and SQL Server for development now(wich puts a smile on my face), if you cant afford to develop on the commercial price level than DONT or get hired somewhere they provide the products to you. The sad truth is if you want to develop open source (Wich i do support) than you need to write everything yourself!! I dont develop free open source programs and excpect to use as many of the commercial goodies my companie buys for me. Like i said get hired and use all the tools your companie buys you to assist in your free/open source products also.
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Postby R0B » Dec 13, 2001 @ 5:29pm

Robert, you said that everyone is entitled to their opinions, so shouldn't I be entitled to mine<br><br>*pauses for thought to set in<br><br>$1000 for dev studio, what, it's free for embedded devices.<br><br>As for free libs, I guess what I am saying is that I think it is a waste of money.  If you are developing comercial for the ppc, which I have chosen not to, but I bet that I could, then you should be able to program your own graphics routines.  DirectX was invented to get more populatirty for windows, but also to save space.  If you share libraries with other programs, then you can save space on your harddrive.  The ti-89 does the same thing when you use shells.  I do agree that if a developer takes a lot of time to develope something, then they should be paid for it, but honestly, how many people actually buy those things.  My main feeling is, get with a good artist, and a good sound guy, and make something everyone can use.  Products based on the developer market are usually a waste in the smaller markets.  I do agree with Mirek when he says that if you don't want to pay, then write it yourself, and that is what I usually end up doing.  Also, I wasn't going off on Mirek, just that one idea.  I hate narrowing my scopes on one person, but Robert, you really need to relax.  When you said get over it, what, wasn't that I line from 5th grade.  2 kids would get in a fight, and the first one to say get over it gains the popularity of the crowd.  I just think that you should let people have debates.  Mirek seems like an OK guy, and a good debate now and then keeps you mind sharp.  So, I guess this thread is over.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby Paul » Dec 13, 2001 @ 5:31pm

Paul
pm Insider

Postby R0B » Dec 13, 2001 @ 5:45pm

R0B
got muffins?

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions