This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Semi-OT: PocketDoom?

Semi-OT: PocketDoom?

Postby sponge » Dec 13, 2001 @ 11:20pm

After Wolf3D is finished, what about a (decent) port of Doom? Mainly one with a virtual control pad like PW3D and PQ, and landscape support (damn you Jimmy!) Maybe by then Q2 source will be released, and we'll have PocketQuake2 (hah that'll be the day)<br><br>-sponge
sponge

Re: Semi-OT: PocketDoom?

Postby Warren » Dec 13, 2001 @ 11:33pm

I think PocketDukeNukem3D would be better, because we already have Doom4CE. If you want simple, then PocketBlakeStone, that's a great classic.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Robotbeat » Dec 13, 2001 @ 11:48pm

I saw a place where you can download the Quake2 source. It wasn't a warez site, either. It was an affiliate of www.planetquake.com , I think. If anyone is interested, I can look in my history to find the link.
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Dec 14, 2001 @ 12:27am

Actually I had considered porting Doom for a few reasons:<br><br>The existing port is substandard in display modes and user input compared to both Pocket Quake and Pocket Wolf.<br><br>Jimmy never released the source code, and it would probably be difficult to go after them legally since they can hide out in a 3rd world country.<br><br>I'm missing a port chronologically between Pocket Wolf and Pocket Quake. :D<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby NYIllustrator » Dec 14, 2001 @ 1:23am

jesus christ, the guy isnt done with one port and your already asking for others! Relax!

NYIllustrator
pm Insider

Postby randall » Dec 14, 2001 @ 2:03am

I have no doubt that Dans port of Doom would most likely be the best out there.<br><br>I thought I remembered playing a landscape version of it, though. It certainly wasn't Jimmy's lame attempt. I think it was DoomCE or something similar to Jimmy's.
randall
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Dec 14, 2001 @ 3:52pm

I'm not rushing Dan, or pushing him (at least intentionally) just interesting in knowing/giving him a suggestion before he gets another one. Doom is a FAR superior game to Wolf ;) and it really has no extra controls too. Wonder if id will wanna snatch him up after these 2 ports, kinda like what they did with Zoid. id a PDA company? Hm. <br><br>Robobeat, you must mean the gamex86.dll/.so, which is the game as in the game, not the engine. You can use that to make mods to run under Quake2. The Q2 engine source is not released yet.
sponge

Postby Robby » Dec 14, 2001 @ 5:43pm

conduits made a landscape version, but it never worked for me.<br>you could try getting their source, but with our skills is would make more sense to start from scratch.<br>Duke3D is a better games than doom, less people know it inside like doom, and, cruciallly for the ppc, its not so dark.  you can see whats going on.<br>i dunno what engine it would use - probably be a speed in between doom and quake.<br>yes.<br>
Why?
Robby
pm Member

Postby randall » Dec 14, 2001 @ 6:21pm

Duke wasn't true 3D, and relied on Doom technology with sprite-based images. It would run at about the same pace as Doom.<br><br>I don't know why people insist on bringing this up though- the source to Duke has never been released. And by the looks of it, it won't be released anytime soon either. Maybe if you had a gajillion dollars and contract to port it, they'd release it to you. (like Tomb Raider and SC2K)<br><br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby MZGuy » Dec 14, 2001 @ 7:13pm

Duke used 3DRealms' own 3d engine: Build
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Courtney White » Dec 14, 2001 @ 7:29pm

I've already asked for the source code from jimmysoft, but they never reply to my emails.<br><br>Face it, jimmysoft will no longer make anything that they can't sell, and will not help anyone else in making anything else.<br><br>Why do i say this<br>*they never released their code<br>*jimmysoft never aswers posts in their message board<br>*i have never received a reply when i emailed them with ANY question.<br><br>Most people have a decent Doom port, but im a 720 owner.  i would start from scratch, but the 820 version on their site works, but the display will not show properatly (for those that don't know, the 820 had a full size screen while the 720 has a half screen) i know a few tricks that could fix the size of the screen.<br><br>If anyone knows how to decompile a program, i would be very thankful.<br><br>Cwhite
Courtney White
Bandwidth Hijacker

Postby Matt Keys » Dec 14, 2001 @ 11:32pm

HeHe, I remember talking to someone earlier, they asked me why we didn't host Doom. I replied, the only version of doom I would want to host is one made by Dan East or a programmer of equal intelligence:)
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Blade » Dec 15, 2001 @ 8:36am

Yeah plz make a landscape doom :)
Quake Rulez :D
Blade
pm Member

Postby sponge » Dec 15, 2001 @ 2:19pm

http://www.advsys.net/ken/buildsrc/default.htm<br><br>If Duke3D can be ported, you'll probably use that source up there. I don't think personally a port of Duke would be that great, playing would seem hard, and it would be quite large. We do have Quake though so anything can happen. PocketROTT would be better ;)
sponge

Postby Robotbeat » Dec 15, 2001 @ 8:48pm

What the heck are you talking about? There are already plenty of WinCE Doom ports! And they are not even close to as big as PocketQuake. Dan wants to do a new port of Doom with a better Interface and controls and a landscape version.
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions