This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PowerVR and the sense of humor

PowerVR and the sense of humor

Postby Socrates » Feb 2, 2006 @ 4:26pm

Hi,

I'm constantly more impressed by PowerVR dramatic sense of humor about their MBX-lite pathetic support for OpenGL 1.0 ES on Dell Axim x50v (and 51v).

First, they are supporting OpenGL ES 1.1 BUT not on the PocketPC platform (remark that OpenGL ES 1.0 is originally oriented to software rendering and OpenGL ES 1.1 to hardware). Note that a member of PowerVR to support OpenGL ES 1.1 with this chip two years ago. Still waiting...

I sent faxes and emails to PowerVR to gather more information about their lib, but never receveid an answer. I asked to join their developer support: no answer (but I still want to understand what they mean for example when they talk about a : is this a 32bit z-buffer (not working with OpenGL ES... Just tried...)?).

And now the final pleasure: I saw that they support the OES_query_matrix extension on PocketPC. Perfect: I really need to retrieve the matrix current state, cool! Yes, but when you try to retrieve the procedure address with eglGetProcAddress you get a mighty NULL pointer... I tested the same code with the Hybrid Gerbera implementation and it returns a valid pointer...

So I searched for some help, and I found this precious pearl of humor on their :

o We were claiming support for GL_OES_query_matrix when we meant GL_OES_matrix_get.

Please note that GL_OES_query_matrix IS STILL present on the same release (and is not working)!

I really hope that ATI will release a more robust platform for mobile devices, in order to finally have a decent and full implementation of OpenGL ES 1.1.
Nihil est
Socrates
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Feb 2, 2006 @ 8:25pm

I ported GL Quake to OpenGL ES a couple years ago for ATI for their Imageon 2300. At the time they appeared to have no interest in the Pocket PC market - they were courting the cellular market at the time.

It's a shame everyone is salivating over the raw size of the cellular market, because gaming on the platform is a complete travesty - a total afterthought. The NGauge should have given anyone with a brain a major hint that to most people cellular gaming is mostly gimmick. Just like being able to take grainy fixed-lense, no-flash, minuscule-aperture pictures with a cell phone really revolutionized the world. To a real photographer, the thought of using a cell camera is an insult, just as gaming on the device should be an insult to any real gamer. Sorry for the rant. It's just that the cell market, and its captive customers (ie the cell carriers control 100% access to all hardware, software and bandwidth their customers can utilize, and get a cut every which way you turn), sent a whole lot of technology development funding to the wrong place because execs saw nothing but dollar signs.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby fdave » Feb 12, 2006 @ 5:03pm

---

Dave
E-mail: david (atsymbol) finalburn.com
WWW: http://www.finalburn.com/
fdave
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions