This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

What graphic library do you use in projects?

What graphic library do you use in projects?

Postby Nomad » Feb 19, 2007 @ 2:10pm

Hi, All!

I'm beginner Pocket PC developer and I don't know what graphic library to choose.
I can't buy licenses to libraries such as gapiDraw or Edge that is presented on this site, couse I get my money only after doing my work.
PocketFrog/PocketHAL seems to stop in their development so I'm affraid of unfixed bugs when running on future Pocket PC versions.
GledPlay's developers is silent so far about their library.

What can you advice me from your personal experience?

Best regards, Nomad.
Nomad
pm Member

Postby PointOfLight » Feb 19, 2007 @ 5:28pm

I can't really speak from personal experience, because I haven't released any games for the Pocket PC platform yet. However, I would offer a couple of suggestions:

PocketHAL / PocketFrog and Gledplay are both free. Use one of them to write a game that you can try to sell for some revenue. This probably won't be the ultimate game you want to write, but it could be one you could charge $2-$3 a copy for. It could take a while to generate the cash for a license on one of the other products, but it would probably be worth it in the end. Of course, you might find you like either PH/PF or Gledplay and decide to stick with them.

Your other option would be to use the evaluation version of GapiDraw or Edge to develop your product, then try to shop it around to some of the more well known PDA developers like PDAMill or Astraware. If they like your product, they might be willing to front you for the licensing costs, or even make that part of their publishing agreement with you. Or, in the same vein, use these products to develop your game, then try to presell enough based off of a demo in order to buy the license so you can distribute the full game.

Again, these are not proven tactics, but rather my take on the possibilities. Good luck, and if something here works, you'll have to come back and let us know.
Eric Pankoke
Programmer
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
PointOfLight
pm Member

Re: What graphic library do you use in projects?

Postby fast_rx » Feb 21, 2007 @ 2:17am

fast_rx
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions