This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

MS Word

MS Word

Postby k » Apr 3, 2001 @ 1:35pm

I'm not saying port MS Word to Pocket PC - but I think someone should seriously develope an addon program. Something that enhances it like MultiIE does for PIE. If Palm users can download a program to edit their Word files, I think we should atleast have something that would enhance our Pocket PCs. While not as exciting as games like doom or quake, I think a lot of people would pay money for a program that added some seriously needed functionality to Pocket Word.<br><br>just a thought<br><br>-k
k

Re: MS Word

Postby Jaybot » Apr 3, 2001 @ 2:16pm

Like what? What features do you want implemented?
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby k » Apr 5, 2001 @ 9:46am

- One feature Pocket Pc users really want is a print/outline view (ability to see page breaks, see how a document would look with formatting)<br><br>- Ability to Bold, Italic, Underline using keyboard. Ctrl+b was bold in Ce 2.11, but it isn't in 3.0. What's up with that?<br><br>- I've heard people mention table support.<br><br>- Spell check <--- (if someone could make a spell check that was designed WITH pocket word, they would make a killing for sure.)<br><br>- Headings footers support... or atleast the ability to not delete them, if they are in the original version<br><br>- Sub Subdirectories view<br><br>- I'm sure there are other things people would like, but from those I've talked to, the above are real issues.
k

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 5, 2001 @ 11:27am

I just want the real basics (I can't live without):<br>- Alignment: Left, Center, Right, Justify, & Full<br>- Page Setup: Dimensions, Margins, & Gutters<br>- Page Breaks<br>- The Ruler: First Line and Paragraph indentations.<br>- Line Spacing: Single, 1.5, Double<br><br>Niceties (I could live without, but maybe not you):<br>- Graphics Wrap-Around: Behind, Above/Below, Left, Right<br>- Tabels: Merge/Split cells, Cell Background Color, Border Styles (c'mon, HTML editors can do it.)<br>- Text Orientation: Horizontal, Upside down, Vertical running up, Vertical running down.<br><br>All that's needed is a format that is royalty-free and widely supported. I've tried looking into Rich Text Format (RTF) but could only find out MS made a version of it. I have no idea who owns the rights, if it's Public Domain, or release under a GPL.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 5, 2001 @ 2:40pm

"Ability to Bold, Italic, Underline using keyboard. Ctrl+b was bold in Ce 2.11, but it isn't in 3.0. What's up with that?"<br><br><br>That's true, I had to get used to it too, but I think they changed this because of the tool bar with the B I and U buttons on it (you open it by either tapping the blue up and down arrows or by going to view, toolbar) that is just as easy to use in one tap as opposed to two taps (control+B)thing which works for me even more quickly now.<br><br>Spellcheck (able to be integrated in ANY program)would be an icredible idea, I agree.<br><br>Headings and footings support would be nice too.<br>Sub sub directories view just won't happen, as that's pretty much hardcoded into the program, as is the Headings and Footings.<br><br>"I just want the real basics (I can't live without): <br>- Alignment: Left, Center, Right, Justify, & Full <br>- Page Setup: Dimensions, Margins, & Gutters "<br><br>Well, Alignment:Left, Center, and right are all there on the toolbar as well.  You can alos access them by edit, paragraph.  Justify and Full are not options, you're right and maybe they should be implemented.<br><br>Page setup for Margin indentaion on the left and right is available, but no Dimensions....<br><br>Basically most of these functions (except for the spell check which could be an indepentant program) are implemented directly into the program and cannot be altered.  All MultiIE does is allow PIE to open itself more than once by fooling the program into thining otherwise.  This could also be done for Word, where you could open up multiple Pocket Words at the same time, maybe they will (and call it MultiWord), but as to changing or adding functions in the actual program would be next to impossible and it would actually be much easier to write a better Pocket Word Processor with these functions.  Then again, I like to be proven wrong. :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 6, 2001 @ 12:41am

I keep forgetting that not everyone knows I have a Palm-size PC (WinCE 2.11.) So many things similar, so many things different.<br><br>The Left, Center, and Right alignment would be kept when converting from a full Word document, but weren't available in Note Taker itself. Guess I just want an actual word processor so I can justify getting a Casio Foldaway keyboard in Q1 2002.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby chuck » Apr 6, 2001 @ 1:28pm

as long as the .rtf activeX contr. is in eVC i could make this EASILY i'll look tommorow ;]
chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 3:35am

i'll start work on this as soon as i get back from spring break, i'm going to Hatteras, NC. to bodyboard, but when i get back, i'll just use the Rich text format control from vb6 on this as long as they are compatible. I have already made a simple text editor just like what you want when with vb a while ago. But it was a .nfo editor, Same difference.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Apr 7, 2001 @ 8:32am

Pocket Word uses the "InkX" control for its functionality, which in turn uses the "RichInk" control. Check both of those out in the CE docs. <br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 9:22am

alright, question thou, do normal .ocx work for CE devices or do they have to be specially written. I could just port the .rtf .ocx if its not useable. I will start prelim. work on this when i get back from vacation.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Apr 7, 2001 @ 10:13am

A .ocx file is just a .dll with the extension changed. Hence they are binary executables, which are processor and OS specific.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 11:44am

well i think it wouldn't be too much to just convert the .ocx to CE compatible, because i don't believe they'll be too much win 9x specific coding. I'll look at it tonight :)
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 11:48am

dan, i don't see those controls in the components list, where can i find them.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 11:50am

o ya, ignore the message before last, that made no sense at all, i can't convert a executable. :)
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Apr 7, 2001 @ 12:48pm

Not all controls will be found in the cushy Components and Controls gallery. Include "Inkx.h" in your source file, see the docs found searching the index for "inkx", and away you go!<br>Are you using eVC, or eVB?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions