This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

serious developer question

serious developer question

Postby jcdenton999 » Jun 11, 2001 @ 1:35pm

OK, this is serious now, and i dont wanna hear anybody saying that i shall do something different!<br><br>Does anybody of you developers now good web-pages with tutorials or stuff to learn making ce apps? I mean how to start? should i buy books about it or use internet? pleeze gimme some advice, i really mean it serious! I already got visualbasic experience, very vew C++ experience, and i already did things like calculators in Embedded VisualBasic!<br>But i now wanna learn embedded visual C++ as its definately the best (i guess) developing tool!<br><br>so please help me thx!
jcdenton999
pm Member

Re: serious developer question

Postby Chris Edwards » Jun 11, 2001 @ 3:26pm

read the latest news post :)
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 3:34pm

eMbedded C++ is identical to Windows C++, just buy any Windows programming book and it will get you started. But if you want to program a game using GAPI then you can find tutorials on the internet or buy a book, search on Amazon.com<br>Wait one sec. let me find you some good books.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 4:02pm

<br>This will give you a basic understanding of the language. I suggest starting with this book. It won't teach you Windows programming, but that's more difficult to understand anyway. We'll get to that.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 4:06pm

<br>This book is great. Written by my favorite author/game programmer Andre' Lamothe. He includes a nice sense of wit into his books, making them interesting whilst giving you inside tips. He also helps you start good programming habits which will help you later in your career.<br> has some great references for all kinds of programming.<br>I'll be right back in a minute with some more links<br>[EDIT] Read below for your first book choice.Last modification: Moose Master - 06/11/01 at 13:06:02
Moose or Chuck

Postby Digby » Jun 11, 2001 @ 4:07pm

I recently purchased Pocket PC Game Programming and I found it to be good for people who know little to nothing about Windows programming or the Pocket PC architecture.  <br><br>I personally found it to contain mistakes regarding GAPI, and it didn't go into detail about important things such as displays that are native landscape mode (iPaq) or how to use the waveOut APIs for audio mixing.  The author has an annoying style of using a lot of exclamation marks (Is that LaMothe's influence?).  He also drops the ball quite often with statements like, "This code is nowhere near optimal but I'll leave that up to you!"  Great.  Tell me why I spent $45 on this again?<br><br>Anyway, it probably is a good book if you haven't done a lot of Windows or real-time graphics programming.  Beginners could do a lot worse I suppose.<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 4:16pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 11, 2001 @ 4:18pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Digby » Jun 11, 2001 @ 7:35pm

Digby
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jun 11, 2001 @ 7:45pm

randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 12, 2001 @ 9:14am

Moose or Chuck

Postby jcdenton999 » Jun 12, 2001 @ 9:17am

jcdenton999
pm Member

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 19, 2001 @ 1:09pm

jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby PsychoStorm » Jun 19, 2001 @ 1:38pm

PsychoStorm
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 19, 2001 @ 4:22pm

Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions