This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Music and or SFX in PPC Games

Music and or SFX in PPC Games

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 23, 2001 @ 7:03pm

How often do you listen to the music or SFX in a game on your PPC?  Do you tend to mute the music(and/or SFX)?  Does it matter to you if there is music or sound?<br><br>Just tryin to get an idea of what you guys think about this.<br><br>I personally turn off all the sound on most of my games on PPC, and generally leave on the SFX for those games with sporadic effects.
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Re: Music and or SFX in PPC Games

Postby suchiaruzu » Jun 23, 2001 @ 7:07pm

It depends on where I play. When I play @ school (yes, I do...) i mute, in bus I always make the sound as loud as possible and shout at people asking if i could make my "gameboy" a little more silent...<br>@ Home I use medium voulme, but i like sound and music, especially the music from Jaybot :)
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 23, 2001 @ 8:16pm

I ask because I'm in the middle of workin on an RPG and I have someone who wants to do some music, but I'm afraid it will make the file size too large OR I may not be able to mix the music and SFX successfully to make it worthwhile.
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 23, 2001 @ 9:24pm

music sets the tone. good music makes a game. Look at zelda. Duh duh da da da da DA da...
Moose or Chuck

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 23, 2001 @ 9:32pm

Good point. I guess I will have to learn how to work with the waveOut routines :(
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Paul » Jun 24, 2001 @ 5:46am

can we see any shots of your game?
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Jon » Jun 24, 2001 @ 6:17am

cool, what kind of RPG?
Jon
pm Member

Postby suchiaruzu » Jun 24, 2001 @ 10:12am

Oh yeah, I like the intro-music of Links Awakening! Do dododo dodododo ... do .. dodododododo .. dodododododo .. dododododododododododo...
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 24, 2001 @ 12:54pm

It's a very simple RPG. Since i didn't start out with GAPI, I decided to keep it from being a performance hog anyway (as it already eats up space with its file size). Thus its very static until you click somewhere.<br><br>Image<br><br>Oh yes, forgot to mention...It kinda plays like a Dragon Warrior kind of RPG.<br><br>Last modification: JongJungBu - 06/24/01 at 09:54:57
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Paul » Jun 24, 2001 @ 1:32pm

that looks great. any chance of a demo? where are the graphics from?
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Jon » Jun 24, 2001 @ 2:22pm

How did you do it without GAPI?
Jon
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Jun 24, 2001 @ 4:03pm

You can use the Windows API to create very advanced graphics within a window. The issue is that there is a great deal of overhead when you draw graphics to a window. That is where the GAPI comes in, because you directly write to the video buffer for optimal performance.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 24, 2001 @ 9:13pm

B/C i'm not all that experienced with GAPI and went without it..I did not do any animation in this game sofar. The windows loop is the same standard as the simplest of applications. Therefore, the game does not respond or perform any actions until the user makes an input...such as tapping on the screen somewhere. And in that regards, it will draw any changes. Of course, its not the fastest technique b/c redrawing the whole screen takes longer than an Action game would need on a PPC. Thus, the game shows one screen at a time (a la Zelda 1) and changes to another area when u exit off the screen. That minimizes the time I need to redraw the whole screen. Secondly, when the player moves around ...he hops round...(a la Castle of The Winds). I use a sort of dirty rectangles style in which I only change the areas that were changed on the display and blit only to those areas. That keeps me from having to redraw the whole screen every time you move. This makes for a very rudimentary game graphically, I know. But it gets the job done for now, eh?  Right now, it isn't far enough long for a demo. It's in pretty early alpha. But if someone wishes me to compile it for their PPC platform and let em test out whats done so far...then I dont think I have a problem with that. Especially since I have only a Casio at my disposal and the x86 emulator. I could send you the x86 executable if you so desire. I'm open to input but I don't mark myself as an expert programmer as it's only a side-venture. Not all of us can be the Dan East of PocketPC's haha. :D<br><br><br>
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Paul » Jun 25, 2001 @ 6:15am

at least it isnt poccer.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jun 25, 2001 @ 12:41pm

LOL. Umm.....thanks........<br><br>Here's another shot:<br><br>Image<br><br>
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions