This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Home-grown DirectX

Re: Home-grown DirectX

Postby Digby » Jul 9, 2001 @ 5:33pm

DirectX is based on COM, not COM+.  A really good book on implementing COM objects and interfaces is by Don Box.<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby RICoder » Jul 9, 2001 @ 10:08pm

I get it...DirectGamePlay...ha!  Maybe I can work on that one anyway?<br><br>My head was up my butt on that too, I was thinking DirectInput, not DirectPlay, but hey both would be most cool....and I was thinking that DirectPlay via IP would be sweet...gotta think about it.<br><br>Just a point of fact...not that I care about symantics....but OLE, COM and DCOM have ALL now been affectionately dubbed COM+ by MS in a never ending effort to confuse everyone with cryptic naming conventions.  So, while yes, DirectX is technically COM insofaras it will not marshal properly over the COM+ transport layer, it still can be considered COM+...but I digress.<br><br>The COM+ thing doesn't scare me, but it adds a layer of complexity that I think can be postponed until a later version.  I am thinking in project management terms now, so I want to do a code drop ASAP and get it out there for people to test and use as soon as possible...that's the plan anyway.<br><br>-RICoder<br><br>P.S.  Does anyone know what happened to fzammetti?  Can't raise him on IM or e-mail, and the PPCDX list seems not to be working....what gives?
RICoder

Postby RICoder » Jul 9, 2001 @ 10:12pm

Got this thing going on with GDBitmap...a class in the library.  I FINALLY got LoadImage to work in Emulation and PPC, turns out LR_LOADFROMFILE is not supported (haha) but 0x10 as a flag does make it go to a file....however, it needs and explicit path on Emulation (L"\\Windows\\" does not work but L"c:\\Windows CE Tools\\..blah..\\Emulation\\Windows\\" does).<br><br>Anyway, I get an HBITMAP, which is cool, and the a BITMAP, but what I need is a pointer to the bits, so I can translate to 16BIT or whatever and make a new file format for it.  No prob working with a Resource since you can lock and retrieve the BITMAP with a valid pointer...but how the hell do you do it with an HBITMAP from a file?  Or if no one knows this...does anyone know off the top of their head how big (in bytes) the header of a BMP is?
RICoder

Postby Digby » Jul 10, 2001 @ 12:03am

RICoder,<br><br>If you need to get at the raw bits of a BMP, why don't you just read the data from the .bmp file  directly into a buffer?  There's no point in storing the image in a GDI bitmap if you're going to use GAPI to display images.<br><br>Regarding the size of a .bmp header: Look at the docs for BITMAPFILEHEADER and BITMAPINFO.<br><br>If you're writing an image loading class you might want to support gif, jpg, etc. by using imgdecmp.dll.  More .<br><br><br>Regarding your upcoming DX-like libraries:<br><br>1) Is it going to be a DLL or a static library?<br><br>2) Will the implementation be thread-safe?<br><br>3) From your previous posts, it looks like you're writing C++ class libraries - Can your routines be called directly from a C program?<br><br>4) Do you forsee a problem for users of your library if you release an early version that doesn't support COM interfaces, and then later adding them?  Will you continue to support the non-COM APIs going forward, or only the COM version?<br><br>DPlay is not well-received in the game development community.  I would put that on the end of your list.  Sockets and serial communications programming is dirt simple.  I haven't done IR programming but it can't be that difficult.<br><br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby RICoder » Jul 10, 2001 @ 1:48pm

Digby,<br> Yeah, that was the point, I would rather read it directly from a file, but I just hadn't put the effort in yet...thanks for the info.<br><br>Your answers--<br>1) Static right now...will be DLL before first release.<br>2) Current implimentation is not thread-safe...well, ok it is, but not tested, so I would have to say no.<br>3) I wouldn't try to call it from C, but why would you want to anyway?<br>4) It'll be like DirectX in this way.  DX lets you use the COM interfaces OR the libs, doesn't really care.  So the plan is to do it like that.<br>5) GPlay is something I would like to see implimented for a host of reasons...but it may have to wait a bit.  It will not be TOO DPlay like, in that it will be more basic in its exposing of functions.<br><br>Do you code?  Are you good?  Would you like to join the list and perhaps contribute?  Sounds to me like you know what you are doing....
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby 999v.2 » Jul 10, 2001 @ 3:22pm

Digby=pimped out yoda, in a programmer sense...<br>
999v.2

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 10, 2001 @ 9:37pm

Ummm digby just copied that from some page he saw on the net. IT doesn't actualyl mean anything at all. Its jus worthless techno-babble.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Jul 10, 2001 @ 11:08pm

meanwhile, we KNOW that Chick writes all his posts instead of copying them. There isn't a single page on the internet that has 4 spelling and grammatical errors per run-on sentence. :)
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 11, 2001 @ 12:45am

This is a signature writing style soon to be a classic. You just wait, years from now; you'll look in English book across the world, and my picture will be there. The inventor of "New English". Yes, Yes, i rip. Actually i speak very well, i just suck at spelling. :( and that whole correct grammar thing on paper.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Jul 11, 2001 @ 1:29am

Actually I was astonished with your emulator review. I don't recall seeing any glaring spelling or grammatical errors. It was almost like someone else wrote the review. I was expecting something like:<br><br>"this emultator feckin' suucks cuz its not the coo lik my Dreamcast icant even see the fekkin' screen 8)"<br><br>And about that length too. I'm not rippin' on you, it's just that you see someones writing style for so long and you expect that's the way they always write.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Jul 11, 2001 @ 1:34am

randall,<br>That's because he copied it from some page on the Net.  It doesn't mean anything at all - it's just worthless techno-babble (Chuckbonics).
Digby
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jul 11, 2001 @ 1:36am

ROFL<br><br>go have smoke, chuck. It's all good. 8)
randall
pm Insider

Previous

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions