This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Home-grown DirectX

Home-grown DirectX

Postby Frank W. Zammetti » Jul 6, 2001 @ 11:38am

Hello all.  The idea is being tossed around over on PocketProjects of developing a DirectX-like API for the PocketPC based on top of GAPI.  We're thinking of a couple of API's with much of the functionality we all wish GAPI had, roughly based on DirectX (but only VERY roughly!).  If you might be interested in joining the effort, feel free to contact myself (fzammetti@omnytex.com) or simply check out the thread:<br> http://www.pocketprojects.com/ubb/Forum ... 01837.html<br><br>On PocketProjects.  Thanks all!
Frank W. Zammetti

Re: Home-grown DirectX

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:12pm

EasyCE is pretty cool. I don't know how close it is to DirectDraw, since I haven't yet programmed in DD, but you may want to look at that first, maybe even use a few functions.<br>
Moose or Chuck

Postby Digby » Jul 6, 2001 @ 5:20pm

I'm curious as to what added value I would get from calling a more DX-like API over using GAPI?  <br><br>Have you guys had a look at Jakko's EasyCE library?
Digby
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jul 6, 2001 @ 6:04pm

Actually, I'd rather see a more OpenGL type library. I HATE OpenGL mind you, but it does make games like Quake look 100X better assuming you have the hardware.<br><br>Last modification: randall - 07/06/01 at 15:04:57
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Jul 7, 2001 @ 9:46am

While the idea of a " DirectX-like" API is not a horrible idea, it will not be that useful. The real goal is to create a DirectX replacement so that games can be easily ported to Windows CE. If a programmer is going to sit down and write a game from scratch, which is where 90% of the good Pocket PC games come from, then the library will not be as valuable. However, if because of its existence, software companies say "it will be very easy to build our existing game for Pocket PC because of this DirectX library", then you will bring games over to Pocket PC.<br><br>Good: We are creating a 100% compatible subset of the DirectX API.<br>Bad: We are creating something VERY roughly like DirectX.<br><br>Dan East<br><br>Friggin smileys caused a Last modification: Dan East - 07/07/01 at 06:46:42
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 7, 2001 @ 11:02am

Ya, what Dan said
Moose or Chuck

Postby Frank W. Zammetti » Jul 7, 2001 @ 11:32pm

Interesting thought Dan, and I do agree with it.  I guess the way I would answer it is to say this... <br><br>The idea of porting DirectX to PocketPC was in fact our first thought, but we quickly came to the same conclusion Microsoft itself did: it probahly was not a viable alternative.  So, following from that initial idea we decided that using DirectX as a basis for a library made some sense.  The idea is to create a standard library that anyone can use for graphics programming, games being the obvious big use, that is similar to DirectX in theory and execution, but still different.  Simpler we hope too.<br><br>It's not an original idea by any stretch, but we think the idea of building on top of GAPI may be.  GAPI is a good starting point, and when you think of basically extensions to GAPI giving you some of the same features as DirectX, we think that makes a lot of sense.<br><br>I agree completely, an implementation that is 100% DirectX compatible would be a huge boon for PocketPC game development.  That just doesn't seem possible for a multitude of reasons.  So, the next best thing we think is a standard library that gives you many of the same features but not as expensively.<br><br>I have looked at EasyCE, I think it's excellent.  I suspect we will look at it in more detail as things progress too.  I'm sure we'll look at a lot of graphics libraries for ideas along the way.<br><br>I agree, it won't be the ideal solution, but we do feel it will be a step in the right direction.  Besides, I personally expect Microsoft will port DirectX, likely some specific subset of it, over in due time anyway.  We may just be a stopgap solution, but hopefully it'll be of some use anyway!
Frank W. Zammetti

Postby Digby » Jul 7, 2001 @ 11:51pm

Windows CE supports DDraw and DSound already, however the Pocket PC OEMs didn't pick it up.  Probably because they don't see games as being a big enough market for their devices.  Maybe MS charges them less for an OS license without it?<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby dhubley » Jul 8, 2001 @ 12:06am

Porting a 100% DirectX compatible library would be far too difficult right now.  Though I don't think it should be just "roughly" based on DirectX, I think it should be as close as possible.  Something that would not necessarily make porting automatic, but alot easier.  Even if that means using the same naming convention for commands as DirectX.  Sure we'll skip a command here and there (possibly added later by a team member or the public if it goes open-source).  Subsets of DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectInput and DirectPlay maybe?  (And if someone dares, make a Direct3d module... yikes).<br><br>
dhubley

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 8, 2001 @ 9:10am

Ya, that's exactly what we need.
Moose or Chuck

Postby PsychoStorm » Jul 8, 2001 @ 4:55pm

I've done some research on the SDL libraries.  This is a GPL'ed, cross-platform DirectX-alike.  It supports a lot of things, and I think writing another wrapper over this that does a lot of DirectX calls would be simple.<br><br>I'd say that it's 90% compilable on EVC++, but there's a lack of low level functions (sempahores - supported in the docs, but the winbase.h as no mention of semaphore calls) that need substitutes on PPC.<br><br>Here's the source to SDL:<br>http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.html <br><br>Here's a link the projects status as it relates to Windows CE:<br><br>http://www.libsdl.org/faq/FAQ-Win32.html
PsychoStorm
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jul 9, 2001 @ 6:47am

What about DirectGameplay? Will the lib support that? :)
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby RICoder » Jul 9, 2001 @ 3:33pm

Yes, we will have GAPIPlay, like DirectPlay.<br><br>The problem with comming close to the implimentation of DirectX is the underlying COM+ classes.  It would make the project almost undoable.  However, I can see a need to closely match DirectX.  Need to do some more thinking on this subject.<br><br>By the way, anyone know if the mailing list is down?  Or is it just me?
RICoder

Postby Malmer » Jul 9, 2001 @ 3:34pm

it was a joke.<br>
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 9, 2001 @ 3:37pm

Ya, not DirectPlay, DirectGameplay. It's a joke saying that most MS games don't have gameplay, so they should have created DirectGameplay.<br>But DirectPlay over IR would be cool. Too bad I don't know anyone else with a PPC?
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions