This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

eMbedded Visual Studio and Win98SE

eMbedded Visual Studio and Win98SE

Postby W3bD£v1l » Jul 5, 2001 @ 11:09am

Currently I've got Win98 First Edition.<br>And I've spend 15 hours downloading Microsoft eMbedded Tools (a 215Mb download, fortunatly I have ISDN and a cheap offpeak rate (0p))<br><br>Then after a long albeit tedius unpacking process, I ran the Setup program. Only to find that I needed Windows 98 Second Edition or above.<br><br>Is this really nessasry? All Win98SE is Win98 with new device drivers, multimedia enhancements, and a few other things. Theres no real change to the source code or anything related to the critical running of the OS. Also, Win2KP setup requires a 200Mhz processor to ru  the setyp program, Yet they managed to add a few lines to the Run command that enabled it to install on a P75Mhz. So surely you can do the same for eMbedded Visual Studio?<br><br>I suppose I was attracted to this software by the fact that it's free and I want to make my own software titles for the PocketPC rather than to buy them off faceless companies like (well lets just not say)<br><br>I'm thinking of buying WinME, as I can get it for around $60 with my student license. But would the setup program instigate itself on WinME, I mean is this one of the Microsoft marketing ideas that force you to buy a new version of your current OS just to run a single program?
W3bD£v1l
pm Member

Re: eMbedded Visual Studio and Win98SE

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 5, 2001 @ 12:07pm

Uhm... I really don't see why it shouldn't be able to be installed, except that they tell you it won't. If you have an ISDN line you could *cough* download the upgrade to 98SE, it's not too large I bet. Then you could put it and the eMbedded tools install on a CDR so you don't lose them.
Moose or Chuck

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 5, 2001 @ 12:07pm

Why are you still using Win98 FE?<br>I think Win2kP is the best out of the bunch right now, and thats including the current release candidates of XP.<br>
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 5, 2001 @ 12:10pm

Ya, Win2000 is a very nice OS. Stable, but not as easy to use as the 9x/ME series (atleast for the first few times you use it). You don't really need any other OS, unless you have a weird device that doesn't have proper drivers yet. If you're going to get a new OS it should be W2k.<br>And everyone can just go ahead and skip the XP lineup, we'll just pretend the MS never even made the eXPerience apps or OSes.
Moose or Chuck

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 5, 2001 @ 12:15pm

Yes, I agree with that about XP, Moose. Sure, Office XP I have and is nice and all. But really, I had Office2k Premium before and I didn't see much of a difference after the upgrade. What a blasted waste.. As for the OSXP, man does it suck. Why did I bother to try out RC's when they just ended up not running my programs or just plain out crashing. A few times my computer would just reboot on its own without me even using it. Just look over and its rebooting itself! Wow! <br>I'm have my doubts to it being any better upon its initial final release.<br>
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Paul » Jul 5, 2001 @ 1:15pm

yeah i've wanted win2k for ages but its so expensive, even with the student license...
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 5, 2001 @ 1:19pm

I got it for $80 because I'm an OEM. It was such a bargain I told them to go ahead and send it even though I don't need it. It's not even installed.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Jul 5, 2001 @ 1:21pm

You see, Moose wipes his ass with $100 bills. He'd use his 1 million shares of Microsoft stock, but it chafes his tender behind.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Jul 5, 2001 @ 1:23pm

what do you mean you're an oem?<br><br>send it to me bitch.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby W3bD£v1l » Jul 5, 2001 @ 2:10pm

Download Win98SE?<br>Legally?<br>I didn't see it on the WinUpdate Site...<br><br>what are the min sys recs for Win2KP, and will the eMbedded Studio work on that platform?
W3bD£v1l
pm Member

Postby Paul » Jul 5, 2001 @ 2:13pm

the tools will work very well with win2k, in fact you'll be able to use the emulator too.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby jongjungbu » Jul 5, 2001 @ 3:32pm

Yes, it is awesome. And there's no crap on your computer with Win2k until u install it. That is what i like. The simplicity. Of course, the emulator is still just as crappy in Win2k as in WinNT4. But what can u do.<br>I also like the Task Manager which u can bring up with one CTRL+ALT+DEL and just leave it up like some process killer in unix/linux.<br>
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby W3bD£v1l » Jul 6, 2001 @ 10:04am

Just tell me where to d/l the Win98SE Upgrade legally
W3bD£v1l
pm Member

Postby Paul » Jul 6, 2001 @ 10:08am

wasnt there some kind of trick to make it think you could d/l it or summat... i cant remember. i think its something to do with the microsoft windows update thing. i dunno
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 6, 2001 @ 11:07am

You can't download it legally, pansy.<br>There was some hack in the registry to give you some access to windowsupdate.com, some kind of hidden updates or something dumb like that. I did it, it didn't do anything.
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions