This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

How about a port of System Shock?

How about a port of System Shock?

Postby Anthrax » Jul 12, 2001 @ 10:31pm

Any developers out there looking for a good game to port to PPC/HPC (and Jornada 720, pretty please!), look no further than Origin/LookingGlass Software's original System Shock.  I'm not certain of the status of the license but I believe it's abandonware.  Not being a programmer of course I'm wholly ignorant of how difficult a project it would be, but I know the game was developed in 1994 and the 3D engine is much less sophisticated than Quake's.  SShock has a small but dedicated core of rabid fans, not a few of whom own PPC's I bet.<br><br>[note: the extra space on a Jornada screen would be perfect for adapting the somewhat clunky original GUI--hint! hint! ;) ]
Anthrax

"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns." --Jack Handey
Anthrax
pm Member

Re: How about a port of System Shock?

Postby MZGuy » Jul 13, 2001 @ 12:43am

But what about the source? It's probably not available, but I found a place: http://tsshp.sourceforge.net where someone seems to try to reverse engineer the game.
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Anthrax » Jul 13, 2001 @ 11:36am

Yeah someone's working on a total rebuild of the game with a better engine; someone else is creating a Half-Life mod based on the game. I don't know if the "resource files" that are apparently available are enough to build an entire port to CE.  :(
Anthrax

"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns." --Jack Handey
Anthrax
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jul 20, 2001 @ 1:20am

The license belongs in the end to EA, so go ask Zio to make a version of it. Not that I think a PPC version would be possible. A game like that needs a keyboard.<br><br>- f
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions