This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

WHY NOT PORT "HEART OF DARKNESS"? on PPCs?

Re: WHY NOT PORT "HEART OF DARKNESS"? on PPCs?

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 20, 2001 @ 2:27pm

Yes, but no one wants vector graphics anymore. Look at Doom, it runs very fast, and is not vector based. What I REALLY want is a space fighter sim like Descent Freespace (the first one) or X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. Now those games would run fast and look good. Because it's not like there are tons of polygons onscreen at once, just around 30 for each fighter, then a star scape with some sprite based explosions and debri. I really should read this programming book so I can actually START a project, not just recommend one. Miserable 1270 pages always discourages me the minute I pick it up! ):(
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Jul 20, 2001 @ 2:32pm

what book?
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 20, 2001 @ 2:53pm

<br>. <br>It's a great book, around 900 pages and I'm actually 170 pages through it, so that's better than I thought. It teaches everything about game programming and windows programming you need to know. It's not for WindowsCE or PocketPC though.<br>But it does come with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 on a CD for free. That was one of the main selling points, besides the author's name on the cover.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 20, 2001 @ 2:55pm

<br><br>When I'm done with that first book, I plan on buying this one. It's got everything I'll need to know about PocketPC Game Programming. But since I wanted to program games for whatever I started out with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, above.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Jul 20, 2001 @ 2:56pm

well enjoy doing games and apps equally so i'll just learn game programming and, ahem, mfc, i guess...
Paul
pm Insider

Postby sickman2o0o » Jul 20, 2001 @ 6:21pm

arr moosemaster did u ever see another worlds awesome gfx!<br>NOOOOOOOOOOO<br>so stop talking about vector grafix!<br>
sickman2o0o
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 20, 2001 @ 8:34pm

Of course I have, moron. Don't answer questions that you ask me yourself. There are better things out there, like I said.
Moose or Chuck

Postby sickman2o0o » Jul 22, 2001 @ 6:15pm

but doom, x wing or freespace is vector grafix based!!!!
sickman2o0o
pm Member

Postby Paul » Jul 22, 2001 @ 6:18pm

This thread is locked.
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 22, 2001 @ 7:31pm

Well in that case every 3D game is a 'vector' game. But X-Wing and Freespace are both polygons. And Doom isn't either. What do you think a vector is?
Moose or Chuck

Postby RICoder » Jul 23, 2001 @ 12:21am

I can't believe I am getting involved in this conversation, but I can't resist.<br><br>VECTOR BASED?  WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?<br><br>Look, frickin' Flash is vector based, and that's about it.  You MIGHT be able to say that a 2D sprite game is vector based because it translates images by vector, but not really.  To be vector based, all the 2d would have to be made up of vectors and translated/transformed as such.  Extending that you could say 3D is vector based, but it really isn't, why?  Well, because the translation, while occuring about/along vectors, is converted to screen coordinates based on 'looking' 3D, so the final result is not vector based in reality.  I mean you COULD argue either case, but as a matter of commonly accepted verbage, vector based is the realm of 2D media, and polygon/raycast/et al are reserved to describe 3D.<br><br>But who cares?  Why are we talking about this?  Why did I feel the overwhelming need to say something?
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby RICoder » Jul 23, 2001 @ 12:24am

Oh, and Moose, you know I dig you...but a polygon, but definition is 'multi' sided, not four sided, then it would only be a....uh oh...what would you call it?  Quadragon?  Probably not...but you get the point.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 1:44am

speaking of points...a point in a polygon is called vertex. And in games polygons are usually triangles. And the temperature is generally colder in sweden in the winters than in the summers. And Michael Sweet keeps a high frequency tone for 9 seconds in the song "To hell with the devil" from 1983 (or something). And I finally got more posts than my collegue Carpediem
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby randall » Jul 23, 2001 @ 2:27am

You didn't just mention Stryper did you?
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 2:41am

and a square has 4 sides.
Moose or Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions