This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

C++ learning

Re: C++ learning

Postby RICoder » Jul 23, 2001 @ 5:01pm

It's not the language you use, its the algorithmic abilities that count.  Languages are almost unimportant in the grand scheme.  I mean how often do I use Prolog?  This is not to say one should try to write a game in Qbasic, Perl, Pascal or some other wanna-be language (using the term language loosely).<br><br>I said that as a preface to my book lists....<br><br>1) Knuth rules.  The man is a super-genius.  Try "The Art of Computer Programming" (there are many volumes).<br>2) Writing Solid Code, by Steve MacGuire is pretty decent too.<br>3) 'CODE'  I CANNOT EMPHASISE THIS ENOUGH!  BUY THIS BOOK!  really it's good...hehe
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 5:22pm

and suddenly it turned into an other book thread...
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 5:23pm

PCKTMTRX should have a page with lists of good programming books and some descriptions of them like the difficulty of it and who really recommends the book (like dan e etc)
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 5:47pm

Well, the point is. You don't need to learn another language first to learn C++. I don't understand why people keep saying that to newbies. Starting with one language is just as good as starting with another. Sure there's more to learn to C++, but what makes the difference?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Jul 23, 2001 @ 5:54pm

where is your ftp moose?
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 6:21pm

I've forgotten my password for prohosting.com, so I can't update anything there. But there should be a file at or something like that.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 7:01pm

Ok, here it is. I found it:<br><br>It's slightly fun. And it's better than no game at all. I suggest original mode at first (F1) so you know what the game looked like back in the days of intellivision. And yes, the meteors look like eggs, oh no!
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Jul 23, 2001 @ 9:55pm

Boy, with all that hype (it's slightly fun and it's better than no game at all) I just couldn't help myself from downloading it.<br><br>Too bad it's corrupted.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 10:06pm

Wow, you cared enough to download it and then tell me when it didn't work? I'm ... honored? impressed? I don't know what the word is but it's something.<br><br>Somehow 3 bytes didn't get through, so I'm reuploading it, try again in 35 seconds...<br><br>[EDIT]<br><br>Still didn't work. Let me try one more time after I rezip em. Check back in 1.5 minutes.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 10:10pm

Not New, tell me if it doesn't work still. If so, I'll just give up<br><br>ImageImageImageImage<br><br>(uhm, I'm supposed to upload zip files in ASCII format, right?)
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Jul 23, 2001 @ 11:42pm

yeah it works.<br><br>From what I remember, it looks exactly like the original game. The enhanced version looks pretty good considering the engine behind it.<br><br>Much better than Poccer and Grey Day.<br><br>Since it came with an installer, I'm guessing that this was developed with some kind of dev kit. Still, it's better than any games I created at your age (Apple IIe was the shit back then).
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 24, 2001 @ 12:39am

Image<--- hi i'm a gay person.<br><br><br>Anyway, did anyone ever use Visual Basic 1. OMG it is so fun. It's in dos and its so funny. Its like windows but made with those null colored characters and stuff. it was so fun to play with.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Jul 24, 2001 @ 4:59am

Have you ever seen Windows 1.0? You'll quickly see why VB 1.0 looked like it did.<br><br>Yup, talk about ASCII art.<br><br>DragonBallZ sucks so bad it isn't even funny.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jul 24, 2001 @ 9:35am

Windows 1.0 isn't ascii. It is graphical mode...the real pain is that I never got the mouse working...
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 24, 2001 @ 10:54am

Thanks randall. I thought you were gonna tear it apart, but now I feel good about it :).<br><br>Ya, DBZ kind of sucks. But now that I've been watching it I'm kind of stuck and have to know what happens. I hate it when that happens with some garbage show, like Outer Limits and anything else that says To Be Continued.<br><br>I only saw DOS, DOSSHELL, and Windows 3.0+. I don't think any computer company actually pre-installed any Windows version below that anyway.
Moose or Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions