This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

C++ learning

C++ learning

Postby MZGuy » Jul 23, 2001 @ 3:00am

Ok, if say I'd like to learn programming without earlier experience (I've tried on c++, java...but got tired of it), would it be a good idea to start with c++ right away or should I learn another language. I don't think I'll be able to do advanced thing, but it'd be fun to be able to write small proggies :)<br>...and does it take a long time just to make a small program in c++?
MZGuy
pm Insider

Re: C++ learning

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 3:23am

OMG, not an other "book thread"...
All your base are belong to us
Malmer
pm Member

Postby MZGuy » Jul 23, 2001 @ 3:32am

Nah, I don't think I need book tips (think I'd buy "learn c++ in three weeks" translated into swedish) :)
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 3:38am

here is the order I learned different programming and programs:<br><br>GWBasic (aka Basica. Dos. crap.)<br>QBasic (Dos. Less crap. wrote many games)<br>QuickBasic (same as qbasic but with a compiler and a bit more stuff)<br>JavaScript (normal webpage scripts, and some pretty cool intranet apps)<br>Borland Delphi<br>JavaScript utilising DHTML<br>ASP<br>Cold Fusion<br>Insane JavaScripts (pushing the limits of the browser. making own MFC like api, working with classes and the coding the craziest inheritance and dependency systems in JavaScript. Basically wrote a Outlook clone. Also doing Weeboo DHTML at this time)<br>Starting to learn C++ (porting weeboo to C++)<br>heavy duty (in my view) C++ (Testing with landscapes. Joining forces with Carpe to code argentum)<br><br><br>If I were you I would start doing simple C++ apps and take it from there. You can do it. Just have patience and a comfortable chair.
Malmer
pm Member

Postby MZGuy » Jul 23, 2001 @ 3:48am

Well, unfortunately patience is the thing I don't have, but I understand that I'll need it so I'll have to try ;) Thanks for the help Fredrik.<br>And that's a lot of programming you've done :)
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:07am

Actually it is mostly weird programming. Doing things in places where it shouldn't have been. Every other programmer I knew who started with basic left that thing and went to better stuff like Pascal and C. But I remained in basic doing stuff in it that was, in my point of view then, really cool to be basic. You later see the same syndrome with me JS coding. You're not supposed to write a platform game in DHTML! So generally I've been coding things for different platforms that they really weren't built for. Oh well...<br><br>Incase you don't have patience I suggest you should get on it right away!!!
Malmer
pm Member

Postby MZGuy » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:17am

lol ;D
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby MZGuy » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:20am

And writing a platform game in DHTML is kind of weird, but a good idea. Is it released somewhere or...
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Jul 23, 2001 @ 9:34am

You could start off with C++ if you really had a desire to learn it. At one time schools had a pretty elaborate progression of languages they used, like BASIC -> Pascal -> C -> ASM, but several years ago I'd heard that most schools were just starting out with C.  C++ provides extensions to the C language, but they are not really two different worlds. For the most part anything written in C will compile fine under a C++ compiler. Having learned C first I have the advantage of knowing exactly what extensions C++ added in. That can be useful when you do take on a straight C project like Quake.<br>One of the keys to fully understanding C / C++ is the ability to think of any variable / array / pointer as the raw chunk of bytes in memory that it really is. That leads to a full understanding of pointers, which is something you can't avoid in a (non-trivial) C program.<br> Good luck! If you have any specific questions about the language just post, because there are several regulars here that know C / C++ thoroughly. There are a couple of older threads on C and C++, so you might read through them. If we can get a good base of info here we might convert it into a tutorial / faq / how-to document.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby MZGuy » Jul 23, 2001 @ 9:47am

...and that was another high quality reply by Dan :)<br>Thanks!
MZGuy
pm Insider

Postby Malmer » Jul 23, 2001 @ 1:34pm

Dan's replies are (usually) very good.
Malmer
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:00pm

I went from QBasic to C to TI ASM + BASIC to Perl to Javascript with DHTML to C++ and I never learned one language good enough to write anything useful? Should I read a c++ book now ;D
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:05pm

and here i am thinking you know all kinds of shit when you never really learned the WHOLE of a language... bah
Paul
pm Insider

Postby randall » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:13pm

If you can't do anything with those languages, then you won't be doing anything with C++ either.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jul 23, 2001 @ 4:19pm

It's not like it was difficult. I just didn't care to sit down and learn it all. But now I've got the entire WindowsProc down pretty good. Sending and recieving every message known to Windows. Now all I have to do is learn DirectX/GAPI and create some sprites. I've made a game before. If you want it it's on my FTP. It's pretty good too.
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions