This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Is PocketC really? i think not!

Is PocketC really? i think not!

Postby RwGast » Aug 8, 2001 @ 8:10pm

Has anyone used this yet, this in my opinion BLOWS ass why would anyone pick this over eVC++. It seams like basic more than c. You cant even call api you have to freakin use there scaled down function(wich BLOW too) to make gui.
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Re: Is PocketC really? i think not!

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 8, 2001 @ 8:12pm

It's so you can program rudimentary programs on the go. You can't take eVC++ with you, so this is a reasonable alternative.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Aug 8, 2001 @ 9:02pm

The PocketC source is compiled into a pseudo-binary image, which is then translated inside an interpreter. Similar to Java but far more primitive. Technically PocketC apps can run on any device or OS for which an interpreter has been built. I think one is available for Windows as well.<br>As Moose said, it's only real use is for software development while mobile, and no "real" apps would (should) be written in that language. Of course there are those that would beg to differ, but I don't find myself writing trivial or simplistic applications often, so I don't relate to that niche.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby TBone » Aug 9, 2001 @ 9:17am

The thing is, it's not a god-awful subset of C, or it wasn't when I tried it on PalmOS. If only they'd make an actual machine-code compiler instead of an interpreter engine, and let you make Win32 calls, it would be a great language on the go. As it is, I'd probably rather use NS/BASIC.
3V1L L337 H3150
TBone
pm Member

Postby RwGast » Aug 9, 2001 @ 7:05pm

How is NS-Basic? I havent tried it yet due to lack of a demo and i dont think its woth 99 bucks. If your a vb programmer will you find NSBasic familiar? Can you acually create large scale apps for a ce machine using NSBasic?
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/esoteric if you like to play quake3 keep your eye on this site
RwGast
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 9, 2001 @ 10:38pm

NSBasic is uhh, more basic than VB. Alot more, its like older school vb where you had to include the form design in the project.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Ian Ferguson » Aug 12, 2001 @ 1:26pm

Why use PocketC over EVC++ ? It's pretty simple, if you want to do a little fun coding without the learning curve and/or compile on the CE or Palm device then PocketC fits the bill. The CE version 3 compiler can call the API though currently V2 performs better. <br><br>I wrote Space Treker using PocketC & faced quite a few compromises ( which is why I am now using EVC++ but for a novice it's a hell of a lot easier to do a program without a long learning curve. As soon as you want anything large & complex it becomes easier to use real C but as a fun language on CE it can;t be beat :)<br><br>I'm not the only one to produce Shareware using PocketC & there are lots of apps out there. If I did not have PocketC I doubt that I would have made the cross over from big PC programming to CE.<br><br>Note: The CE & Palm versions are very different as you might guess. PocketC lives at www.orbworks.com & is written by Kevin Cao & Jeremy Dewey. It has hundreds of users & an active developer community.
Ian Ferguson

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions