This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

What is Alpha Blending ?

What is Alpha Blending ?

Postby Ian Ferguson » Aug 18, 2001 @ 2:49am

I read the earlier thread discussing the best way to do Alpha blending. My question is much more basic. What is Alpha Blending? I get the impression from reading various posts that it's a way of smoothing the edges of sprites being placed on a background or something like that.<br><br>Ian
Ian Ferguson

Re: What is Alpha Blending ?

Postby Moose or Chuck » Aug 18, 2001 @ 9:41am

Alpha blending is used to make a part of a sprite or image transparent, like making smoke translucent, or glass completely transparent. There are many ways of doing this, some more complicated than others, but most of the time (in simpler games) it just replaces one RGB value in a sprite with transparency.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Ian Ferguson » Aug 21, 2001 @ 6:24am

Thanks, It's just a new name for an old operation. In my assembler days ( loved Motorola hated Intel ) it was a straight forward pick a color to be the transparent one ( never used masks myself ). I've seen some discussions which made it appear to be a much more advanced than in the VGA 256 color days.<br><br>Ian<br>
Ian Ferguson

Postby randall » Aug 21, 2001 @ 7:36am

I think you misunderstood. It isn't the same as masking.<br><br>An alpha channel allows each pixel to have a different transparency value than it's neighbor.<br><br>Masking simply makes that entire set of pixels 100% transparent, whereas the alpha channel can create many varying degrees of transparency within the same image.<br><br>This allows for effects like smoke, fire and water to look more realistic.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » Aug 21, 2001 @ 2:08pm

yeah.. and PNG has alpha blending support... DAMN microsoft doesn't support it though :(.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Avatar » Aug 21, 2001 @ 6:17pm

pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions