This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

eVC Bug

eVC Bug

Postby Digby » Aug 31, 2001 @ 12:06am

Here's a nice bug I found with eVC and DevStudio:<br><br>- Launch eVC <br>- Make sure that "Auto parameter info" is enabled via Tools\Options\Editor dialog (it is by default). <br>- Create a new Win32 Application project (select 'Empty Project') <br>- Add a new source file (foo.cpp) to the project <br>- Open this new source file in the IDE editor <br>- Type the following in the source file, leaving the cursor to the right of the '(': <br>#include <windows.h> <br><br>INT WINAPI WinMain ( <br>- At this point you should see the tooltip box displayed listing the function prototype for WinMain. <br>- Using the cursor arrow keys, move the cursor back 9 characters to just before the 'W' in "WinMain".  Now press ENTER to drop the substring "WinMain (" to the next line.<br><br>- Now press the END key to move the cursor to the end of the line. <br>- BAM! No more eVC. <br><br>It has something to do with that Tooltip that displays the parameters to WinMain.  If you disable that feature in the editor this won't happen.  Happens in Win2K and WinXP, although XP actually traps and then allows you to send the mini-dump to MS.<br><br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Re: eVC Bug

Postby Dan East » Aug 31, 2001 @ 8:57am

It will also crash when debugging if you try to step into a system function that it can't find the source for. I don't know how many times I've done that accidentally by hitting F11 instead of F10.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby jongjungbu » Aug 31, 2001 @ 4:27pm

Interesting. If you two weren't such avid programmers, I would say you had too much time on your hands.
jongjungbu
Not JongJongBu

Postby Dan East » Aug 31, 2001 @ 7:28pm

Well, within a couple hours of posting that, I accidentally hit F11 during a debug session. :( So then I had to restart eVC, load my project, soft reset my iPaq (because that locks it up completely), begin debugging, and work my way back into were I was when I hit the wrong key.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions