This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Slooow debugging

Slooow debugging

Postby Digby » May 21, 2001 @ 7:49pm

Remote debugging over the USB ActiveSync connection from my PC to my iPaq is hideously slow.  Seems to take about a minute from when I start my app to when the app actually starts to run (what in the hell is "synchronizing exception info" and why is it so slow!).  <br><br>Single-stepping a line of code takes about 4 seconds per step.  I've closed all the update windows in eVC (Watch, Registers, etc.) in hopes that would speed up single-step debugging, but it doesn't.<br><br>I'm wondering if I used an Ethernet connection if it would be any faster.  Do any of you see slow debugging as I do?  Do you just live with it, or do you have a trick you can share to speed things up?<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Re: Slooow debugging

Postby Dan East » May 21, 2001 @ 8:06pm

Ethernet blows USB away. There is no comparison. It is 50 times faster, and that is no exaggeration. It takes less than 2 seconds to begin debugging, and stepping is instantaneous.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Digby » May 21, 2001 @ 8:47pm

Thanks Dan.  That's exactly what I wanted to hear.<br><br>Cheers,<br>Dig<br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Vickerto » Sep 20, 2001 @ 11:08pm

Forgive me if I am slow...how do you use an Ethernet connection.  Thanks.
Vickerto

Postby RICoder » Sep 20, 2001 @ 11:50pm

I know this was answered, but to add MHO...<br><br>You must use Ethernet...there is NOOOO comparison.  Debugging is WHY I got the Ethernet card.<br><br>Good luck Digby...it's worth it.
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/RICoder.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">RICoder</iframe>
RICoder
FOX News Correspondent

Postby Dan East » Sep 20, 2001 @ 11:57pm

You have to install an ethernet card into your PC, then get a network hub, and finally a CompactFlash Ethernet card for your Pocket PC (the latter being the most expensive). I think you can get a hub and ethernet card for your PC at Wal-Mart in a kit for $50 USD or so.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Vickerto » Sep 21, 2001 @ 12:39am

Thanks for the reply, Dan.  I have a hub and an ethernet card.  I'll have to see if I can get my company to spring for the flash card.
Vickerto

Postby BadBazza » Sep 21, 2001 @ 6:26am

Hi,<br><br>50 times faster is no exaggeration and it is also the reason I bought ethernet cards. If you are only connecting you PC to your Pocket PC you do not require a hub, you can use a crossover cable (sometimes called a trwisted pair) which normally has to be bought seperately<br><br>Hope this of use<br><br>Bad<br><br>PS Network cards also stop backups being a drag!<br>
Lost....... Assumed Coding!
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby cryo » Sep 21, 2001 @ 8:41am

i also use LAN debugging with my iPAQ, which is WAYS better than USB. But i am having a quite annoying problem. Each time i transfer the newly compiled .exe to the iPAQ via LAN the screen goes mad flashing and displaying waste all over. After the transfer is done, it returns almost to normality, but with a short flickering each minute or so.<br>Has en1 seen this behaviour?<br><br>thanx
cryo
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Sep 21, 2001 @ 9:14am

The screen on your iPaq goes wild? I've never seen anything like that, and I've debugged 5 or 6 different types of devices over ethernet.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Sep 21, 2001 @ 9:16am

Vickerto, I recommend Socket's Low Power Ethernet card. We have several of them in both CF and PCMCIA form factor, and they have all worked great in a myriad of Windows CE devices (and laptops).<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby BadBazza » Sep 21, 2001 @ 9:21am

And I'm using 3Com CF and 3Com PCMCIA with no probs
BadBazza
pm Insider

Postby Vickerto » Sep 21, 2001 @ 9:22am

Great.  Thanks again for the advice.
Vickerto

Postby Captain_Chickenpants » Sep 21, 2001 @ 10:58am

I cannot seem to get Ethernet working when connected directly to a second network card in my PC (using a xover cable). When I plug into the network (with a normal cable) it connects fine. any ideas?<br><br>Xircom ethernet card.
Captain_Chickenpants
pm Member

Postby BadBazza » Sep 21, 2001 @ 11:56am

Paul,<br><br>Using the ethernet card can you go into eVC++/Tools/Configure Platform Manager, select your device and go to properties. select tcp/ip and then hit the test button. Does the test work?<br><br>Let me know<br><br>Bad
BadBazza
pm Insider

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions