This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Board Game

Board Game

Postby raianeh » Jun 23, 2007 @ 8:49pm

Hi,

I am trying to understand how Edge Lib works by looking at the Blastar example. Have spent loads of time but the code is not commented so its doing my head in.

What I am trying to create is a board game like chess or Otello or smiliar games. You have a number of board pieces which the user should be able to click on and move around the board. After the move the game engine decides if the move is allowed and so on.

Can you please provide an example or basis for a 2D board game? At the moment I feel stranded having full version of Edge Lib but not enough examples tutorials to create my game.

Help Please ;)

1. Blastar code is totally uncommented while there is high level explanation in your tutorial section about but the code is not commented.

2. An example board game would be great. Where the board pieces are sprites which user can click on each and move and so on...
raianeh
pm Member

Postby scihunter » Jun 24, 2007 @ 5:38pm

Hi raianeh,
The programming of board game is not very depend on the Edge Lib, it is more depend on your concept understanding. As much as I know you can make a board game, using the tile based system of drawing sprites on the screen. Well try to look at these tutorial of how to make a 2D tile based games:
A lot of article about tile based graphics:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=44
Also if you a have a chance try to look at this book:
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bo ... egoryID=11
it have a great explanation of tile based and isometric graphics principles and a complete tutorial of simple Otello game creation.
You need only to understand the graphics drawing principles in Edge so you could remade the code of this Otello example i the Edge Lib.

P.S. By the way I agree that Edge Lib needs more examples and tutorial to better understand the principles and things in Edge, especially now when it Edge supports 3D OpenGL ES. I'am actually thinking about opening some kind of Edge Lib showcase site where people would be able to share with their thoughts and pieces of code with others. Where you would be able to upload some code or a project and so on to share with it and make it maybe better.
scihunter
pm Member

Postby edge » Jun 25, 2007 @ 1:22pm

Hi Scihunter,

Thank you for your answers, I hope it's helpful for Raianeh. We have plans creating more tutorials and examples, though this consumes lots of valuable time we rather spend on adding new features to the library.

Regarding your idea of opening a website for posting EDGELIB examples, snippets, thoughts and comments is an excellent idea. We could facilitate this. Would you please contact us at "info at edgelib dot com" to discuss this in more detail?
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions